Carboy Bung Won't Go Down...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuse88

Reaction score
Just got done placing my beer into the secondary and the carboy bung won't go down all the way. It is sitting about 1/2 inch, maybe a little less, above the rim of the carboy. I tried drying it out and still won't sit. I'm not to concerned about infection as the beer is fully fermented. Will it be okay?

I won't have a chance to get a new bung in for at least a few weeks. Thanks.

just keep drying it out and putting it back on....to include drying out the inside lip of the carboy. thats why I switched to using the white universal plugs which never seem to pop out or have problems staying in the carboy.

As long as it is holding by friction, you will be alright.

When I transfer to a secondary, I have to wait a few hours for pressure to stabilize in the new vessel for the bung to hold it's position.
Also try using a twist when putting on.

As long as it is holding by friction, you will be alright.

When I transfer to a secondary, I have to wait a few hours for pressure to stabilize in the new vessel for the bung to hold it's position.
Also try using a twist when putting on.
This. Also, I've never seen anyone push them all the way down anyhow because that makes them harder to get out.

As long as it's sealing it doesn't matter how far the bung goes in. I don't think any of mine go in flush with the top of my carboy. I'd be worried about getting it back out if one of them did.

Back