Can i add bitttering hops after the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly765

Reaction score
I totally screwed up, again! I used 1 oz of 6 year old hallertaur hops to my hefeweizen instead of the fresh ones. Can i add bittering hops to the fermenter or keg?
I was thinking of boiling some hops in a qt of plain water the adding that to the fermenter or keg.
Any suggestions?
Of course i could just try it as is & see how it tastes.

Any idea what the ibu's will be if you leave it alone, compared to what you would have had if you had used the newer hops? If you don't have brewing software, give us the AA% of the hallertaurs and how long you boiled them and someone can tell you. Also, how were the hops stored? In your freezer?

I think the hop tea idea would work. On the other hand, I'd probably let it be just to see how it turns out - I like a little randomness sometimes :)

Any idea what the ibu's will be if you leave it alone, compared to what you would have had if you had used the newer hops? If you don't have brewing software, give us the AA% of the hallertaurs and how long you boiled them and someone can tell you. Also, how were the hops stored? In your freezer?

I think the hop tea idea would work. On the other hand, I'd probably let it be just to see how it turns out - I like a little randomness sometimes :)

According to Beersmith they go from 4.80 to .16 after 72 months @ 60F vaccu packed. they were stored here & there sometimes in my 100F + shed sometimes in AC.

Back