Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Caffeine in my beer: What is illegal to sell and what isn't?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Seriously Jimmy, this website is really geared towards the hobby side of things, it's really not a place for pros, though some have gone pro, but they usually stop hanging around here once they do, either because they are working their a$$e$ off trying to survive, or they hang out online with fellow professionals at the afore mentioned Probrewer.com.

Whenever someone posts on here professional related topics, all you get is a bunch of hobbyists pretty much speaking out of our own a$$es, on this stuff. Not lawyers, not pro brewers dealing with this stuff DAILY, not TTB experts on brewing legislation....Just hobbyists, like 'Paul said "with toilet parts and coolers." Not experts in the nuances of laws where commercial selling of beer/alcohol is concerned.

We may be great at helping you figure out good recipe, but getting it brewed and sold on a commercial scale, you really need to talk about it with experts.

I betcha that months before it became illegal, when there was a whiff about it, they started talking about it on probrewer, on a nuts an bolts level that relates to the professional level.

You best bet for real informantion, and not a lot of armchair speculation by a bunch or amateurs, is either Probrewer.com, someone from the TTB website or a Lawyer well versed on alcohol laws.

I know a hellova lot about brewing, I know a little bit about the laws just from attempting to read them, but I, and prolly noone on here, really knows enough to help you out, OR even point you, beyond what we did, to who to talk to.

Best of luck to you in all your endeavors.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #22
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
"with toilet parts and coolers."
Again with the coolers thing!!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Again with the coolers thing!!!!
Not to forget turkey fryers, aquarium pumps, red oxygen bottles from the hardware store, bilge pumps and god knows what else...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #24
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I am unfamiliar with any state that banned caffeinated alcoholic beverages. I believe some states banned specific drinks or beverages with a specific amount of caffeine and alcohol. The FDA, to my knowledge, did not set any standards but merely warned the companies producing the alcoholic energy drinks that if they did not change the products they would.

That said, you would need to look at the state limitations on caffeine in alcoholic beverages in the state(s) where your beer is produced and the state(s) where your beer is distributed to make sure you are compliant with their respective requirements. An attorney will be your best ally in that process.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #25
PVH
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
So its illegal to drink coffee while you are brewing?
Shhh! Don't give the FDA any more ideas.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #26
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2031 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I am unfamiliar with any state that banned caffeinated alcoholic beverages. I believe some states banned specific drinks or beverages with a specific amount of caffeine and alcohol. The FDA, to my knowledge, did not set any standards but merely warned the companies producing the alcoholic energy drinks that if they did not change the products they would.

That said, you would need to look at the state limitations on caffeine in alcoholic beverages in the state(s) where your beer is produced and the state(s) where your beer is distributed to make sure you are compliant with their respective requirements. An attorney will be your best ally in that process.
I am pretty sure Michigan banned 4loko or whatever. I think they banned several drinks due to the addition of caffeine. I don't have a copy of the law, but I know my BIL was disappointed although he also admitted it tasted like sht.

I think Revvy hit it on the head. We just don't really know, and there is a place with lots more info. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #27
Mcbobs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

4 loko and other drinks like that were pulled off the shelves and sent back to the distributors BUT, they have since come out with new versions that look the same and still taste like ass, but have omitted the caffeine in the new recipes.

-Matt

Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #28
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbobs View Post
4 loko and other drinks like that were pulled off the shelves and sent back to the distributors BUT, they have since come out with new versions that look the same and still taste like ass, but have omitted the caffeine in the new recipes.

-Matt
They are just as good as they used to be if you add a '5 Hour Energy' to each can.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #29
SilentAutumn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsPaul View Post
We make beer in buckets with toilet parts and coolers.
Whoa, whoa, whoa.... I can use parts from my toilet? Where is that thread?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #30
brum
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsPaul View Post
We make beer in buckets with toilet parts and coolers, this might not be the best place for you.
My new sig. Repped hahaha

Quick Reply