Breweries/brewpubs along I-90?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo_wire

Reaction score
Going to be road tripping between Wisconsin and Jackson Hole, Wyoming in a couple of weeks. Any good nano breweries or the like close to I-90 that I should check out? Other Continental Divide region brews I might not have tried? I have a friend who swears up and down that ODells makes the greatest beer ever, so Im looking for some 90 Shilling to test that out.

BTW, my wife is gluten free, so any advice for beer or food along the way will get eternal thanks from us.

Having just done this trip (although we went VT all the way to OR, then back through MT), I'd say make your beer stops in WI ;) We stopped in Sioux Falls SD for the night and there is one place called Monks House of Ale Repute, which is supposedly the best place to get a drink. We just went to the HyVee and they had an amazing selection for a grocery store and ate at our hotel. We had also stopped at New Glarus and loaded up before heading on.

We went straight through from Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and then finally Boise so didn't really get a chance to look for beer spots. Other than those National Parks, there really is nothing out there.

If you are in Jackson, I'd suggest checking out the Grand Tetons brewery which is just over the border in Idaho.

Crow Peak Brewing in Spearfish SD, Firehouse in Rapid City, SD....are you going to go north on 90 at Buffalo WY? If so there are about 5 breweries in Billings, MT, then several more in Bozeman.

Depending how far you want to venture from the Interstate, I had a good time in New Ulm, MN at the Shells Brewery. Free samples after the tour was certainly a plus! The town is pretty neat too, has a German heritage feel to it.

Also +1 on the Firehouse in Rapid City.. Good place

I'll also second Firehouse. My wife and and I made the trip from WI to WA along I90 moving out west to take jobs, so we weren't exactly sight-seeing, but since we were staying in Rapid City for the night we found Firehouse and it wasn't bad. Granted, that could have been a side-effect of having driven through the rest of the state of South Dakota already and desperately needing a beer, but if you're in the neighborhood stop in.

Back