Is the brew your own clone book any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Im a new brewer using extracts.I was wondering if the book is dead on with there recipes or if there just kind of close and would be better off using all the recipes on this site from experienced brewers who have tweaked there recipes to perfection

Im a new brewer using extracts.I was wondering if the book is dead on with there recipes or if there just kind of close and would be better off using all the recipes on this site from experienced brewers who have tweaked there recipes to perfection

Is that the BYO magazine called something like "150 Clone Brews"? I have that. It's ok. The book "Clone Brews" by the Szamatulski's isn't very good at all.

What I like better is John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff's book called "Brewing Classic Styles". It's all extract recipes that give at least one version of each of the styles of beer. There are changes for all grain and partial mash versions, but it's a nice easy to follow book with solid recipes. They aren't specific clones, but every one I've done has been A+.

Our recipe database here is topnotch, if you don't want to purchase a book at this time. You can find just about any recipe you're looking for, and we can help you convert almost any of them into extract recipes if you want.

+1 for the brewing classic styles recipes instead of clonebrews. Havn't used the byo book, but some of the "replicator" column recipes seem a bit off to me.

Jamil's recipes are very good. With the good feeling that you brewed it, you'll probably enjoy those beers more than the commercial beer in the fridge.

Is that the BYO magazine called something like "150 Clone Brews"? I have that. It's ok. The book "Clone Brews" by the Szamatulski's isn't very good at all.

What I like better is John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff's book called "Brewing Classic Styles". It's all extract recipes that give at least one version of each of the styles of beer. There are changes for all grain and partial mash versions, but it's a nice easy to follow book with solid recipes. They aren't specific clones, but every one I've done has been A+.

Our recipe database here is topnotch, if you don't want to purchase a book at this time. You can find just about any recipe you're looking for, and we can help you convert almost any of them into extract recipes if you want.

Agree. I have brewed from both books and BCS is far, far better. If you can get past Jamil's sophomoric antics on his brewing shows, he is clearly a super-talented brewer and his recipes are so, so good. Here are some of those recipes. The book goes into some great detail on the target brew, so I recommend getting it.

Back