Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew day gathering?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Scubajay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brew day gathering?

I just have a couple of questions about everyones brew day. Until reciently I brewed my beers on my back patio, where it was relitevely quiet and privat. However the last 4 brews I started brewing in my garage. At first a neighbor or two would stop by and talk, see what I was doing and have a beer. But the last 2 beers I did by the time I reached my boil it seams like I have about 18 to 20 of the neighbors hanging around drinking beer. and by the time it is chilled and in the carboy I have about 30 people and its a full blown block party. I must say I do like the company and it is a lot more fun but it does get a little hectic to get my beer done error free. Recently I have had about 4 or 5 people ask when my next brew day is so they can stop by. I don't want things to get out of hand but I don't want to tell anyone the can't stop by.
The secound concern I have is I usilly blow about 2 kegs from my 4 keg keezer. I was thinking about putting out a jar for donations for my next batch but I dont want to seem like I'm begging for money to brew. It is my hobby and I do enjoy sharing my beer with my friends and neighbors. When I brew I do 10 gal batches and it cost me around $75 a batch. I use the best ingredents I can. I can aford it but the extra cash might be nice to do upgrades on my system or buy more ingredents and brew more often. If I do put out a donation jar does anyone have any sugestions about what to write on it so I don't sound like I'm brgging.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 333

I hear you - sometimes it is nice to blast through a bunch of beer with friends, but every couple weeks, to the point of going through your stash - that is no good.
Just tell people you are a little low on finished beer. And then have a "bring a 6 pack of microbrew" potluck - each person buys/brings a 6 pack and puts it all in a tub of ice, everyone can sample different types of brews. You could still pour a few pitchers of your homebrew and get some sample size glasses from pubglasses.com or somewhere like that. That way everyone can still sample your beers, but they are also bringing some of their own. Plus, it would be fun to have people have lots of varieties to taste and compare.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Wow, I have been brewing out in my garage for a while now, and the only people who have ever come up to talk to me on a brew day at my house were a couple friendly ladies who were interested in spreading the word of Jesus. Of course, my kegerator is rather far away in my house, and I tend not to drink while I'm brewing.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Patro
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That sounds crazy, like you go through more beer than you brew. Maybe you could encourage people to bring their favorite commercial brew to share, or buy ingredients for a batch of their favorite style of beer for next brew day. Try and get a few to start brewing themselves and have group brews where everyone contributes beer.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
ScottG58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I brew in my garage also. The neighbors do not visit. They probably think I'm cooking meth.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Scubajay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the fast replys guys. as for the sample size glasses I have a dozen 3 oz sample pilsners I keep on top of my keezer, that is also in my garage. I guess part of the problem is I have an open tap policy. I feel that is part of the pleasure in home brew is pulling your own beer. great sugestion about a beer pot luck I think ill put that out for my next brew day.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 333

yeah - even if you did the 6pack thing once a month, or every other brew day - that would make a big difference.

I give away a ton of my beer too - part of the fun. Definitely awesome that you have that many people coming by, that would be a blast.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Much as I was never a fan of donation jars, it sounds like it might not be a bad idea in this case. They obviously like your beer, so something like a "next batch fund" might not be too much to ask. My friends drinking my beer is one thing, but the whole neighborhood is another. If that many people throw in a couple bucks, you could probably pay for your brewing. I'd make some garage brew recipes, and save the more expensive stuff for you and a select few.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 AM   #9
Oddball
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

$75 a batch? Not only do you need to put out a donation jar, but you also need to find a new lhbs. I do 10 gallon batches as well and I have never paid above $50...

Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
Scubajay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

oddball
I do agree about the price but I do a lot of high gracity beers and the UK two row I prefer cost almost 75 cents more a pound.
It is kind of funny when you try to warn people there not drinking 3.2 beer and they still drink 2 or three pints and stumble home.

Quick Reply