Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > bottle labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default bottle labels

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a program, for making bottle labels, I would like to make some custom labels, to take to parties, mabe show off a little and try to get some more people interested in making beer.
any info would be appreciated...Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2005, 12:47 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts

This isn't software and runs kind of on the expensive side--but they are very professional looking and fully customizable, including adding your own pictures.
I haven't used it but it looks cool.

my own labels

Old 01-18-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

BTW....I've made some of my own labels using powerpoint. It kind of limits you on what you can do but it allows you to add pictures and stuff and has options to use different styles of text. A couple of mine didn't turn out too shabby--kind of plain but they get the point across. You can buy printer paper that has a stcky backing to apply the labels to your bottles. They come off WAY easier than the nasty glue used on commercial bottles, but if you throw your homebrews in a cooler with ice/water, the print fades and runs easily.
Its a cheaper way than using the www.myownlabels.com option.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:22 AM   #4
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrelse
BTW....I've made some of my own labels using powerpoint. It kind of limits you on what you can do but it allows you to add pictures and stuff and has options to use different styles of text. A couple of mine didn't turn out too shabby--kind of plain but they get the point across. You can buy printer paper that has a stcky backing to apply the labels to your bottles. They come off WAY easier than the nasty glue used on commercial bottles, but if you throw your homebrews in a cooler with ice/water, the print fades and runs easily.
Its a cheaper way than using the www.myownlabels.com option.
Thanks for the info, I am gonna give it a shot.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
Brewman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used QuarkExpress and then used sheet lables and cut them out...... I make 13 cases for my wedding a few years back......

Old 04-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
fsinger
Recipes 

Default Homebrew labels

Naming the brew and making the labels is about 50% of the fun! I've made only 4 batches since I started brewing again (after 40 years when I was in college). What I found is that people in my family ask is there any "bug-eye brew" left, or "can you bring some of your April Amber?" I've really enjoyed that part of the brewing project.

I purchased some of the labels from the My Own Label site, they look great, but are really expensive.

Using shipping labels on you printer doesn't work, because you can't get them off your bottles very easily when you are ready to recycle to another batch. Here is what I finally found works best:

Design your label in any good word processor or graphic program using the "print label" choices. Print on PLAIN PAPER (I use 24 lb extra white), just as if they were labels.

Cut them on a paper cutter (to get nice straight lines).

Mix Elmer's glue (or any wood glue that is water soluble) about 1/2 glue to 1/2 water. Use a small paintbrush and paint the back of your label and put on the bottle. The glue comes right off when you wash the bottles for re-use.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Anyone else enjoy the labels as much (almost) as the product?

Old 04-25-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsinger
Design your label in any good word processor or graphic program using the "print label" choices. Print on PLAIN PAPER (I use 24 lb extra white), just as if they were labels.

Cut them on a paper cutter (to get nice straight lines).

Mix Elmer's glue (or any wood glue that is water soluble) about 1/2 glue to 1/2 water. Use a small paintbrush and paint the back of your label and put on the bottle. The glue comes right off when you wash the bottles for re-use.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Anyone else enjoy the labels as much (almost) as the product?

Hmmm...good tip!
I don't seem to have the problems getting the old labels off when I use shipping labels. The oxyclean soak really does the trick. I usually find all of the lables floating around in the bucket after an hour. No labor involved, usually.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #8
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Good idea on the plain paper and elmers. Guess I never thought of that?

On occasion I'll make out a label or two when giving them to a friend as a sampler pack. Usually add some humorous crap on it as well. Found a coat of arms graphic for my name and spin everthing around that in MS Publisher.

For my own consumption I don't bother. I keep track on what is what by color code with a little splotch of enamel paint on the cap for whats inside. (Wife has a wide variety of model type paint) Right now its:

Green - Oatmeal Stout
Gold - APA
Yellow - Negra Modelo clone
Plain - Honey Rasberry crap from hell (think it's bad or something...)

Tell ya, this works great for keeping track. Just started this about 2 weeks ago as the stock has grown.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:04 AM   #9
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober

Recipes 

I've been trying to find some blank stock 'static cling' (like the oil change places put on the inside of your winshield). I was thinking of using that for beers or yeast bottles in the fridge. You couldn't print them but they would be reusable if you took the time to save them till you brewed that kind of beer again. Also, absolutely no mess / trouble removing it! Can simply write on those with a Sharpie and throw them on the bottle.Anyone seen any? Large sheet or label size would be fine as I could cut them up on a paper cutter.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:32 AM   #10
AlaskaAl(e)

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'll keep my eye out but I don't recall seeing anything like that. My only issue with that is that I'd probably lose every label I "lend" out with my beers. I can hardly get half of the empties back.

Quick Reply