Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Tasting Classes in Chicago

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
wiescins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Beer Tasting Classes in Chicago

Does anyone know of beer tasting classes in Chicago? I'm looking to really learn how to breakdown a bear and take proper notes etc... Right now I just know what I like and can pull a few flavors out and sometimes identify specific hops, but I would really like to hone this skill significantly. I'm not looking for a Tuesday night get drunk with cougers type of event, but a legitiment learn to taste beer experiance. This (Programs & Courses - Siebel Institute Professional Beer Tasting and Styles Course) is really what i want to do, but the $ and vacation time isn't happening, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
johnnybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiescins View Post
...I'm looking to really learn how to breakdown a bear...
You might start with a large caliber gun to break down that bear. I wouldn't mess with 'em though!

Just messin' with ya. I would think the Siebel is the best one available. And, you living in Chicago and all makes it easier.

I saw that the Map Room (great bar) has a beer tasting class (The Map Room - Beer School). It's likely not going to be a the level you're looking for, but it will give you an opportunity to connect with Greg Browne who might have some ideas for you. I would bet you might learn something from him too.

Good luck.

See my Corny Keg Chilling Insulator

Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
Kate00
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

How could you not want a get drunk with cougars type of event? It couldn't get much better than that!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
ddisaster
Recipes 

I agree a get drunk with cougars type of event sounds awesome! You have plenty of time to learn later.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Brickout
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 10 Posts

You might learn something from the cougars too!

All kidding aside, johnnybrew's idea for the Map Room might be your best place to start.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
johnnybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I love HBT...

Only here can a thread begin with a question regarding beer tasting classes and end on the opportunities to learn and score with randy drunkin cougars! Awesome.

While we're talking about Chicago Bars... there are tons of good ones, but one of my all time favorites is the Hop Leaf (Hopleaf • Uptown, Chicago). Awesome selection, great atmosphere and usually good people. I met one of the last ladies I dated (just prior to meeting my wife) at the Hop Leaf. She was no cougar, but now a life-long friend. Oh yeah, bring cash - they don't accept plastic.

Another thought on beer tasting: I've had this idea for a while and try to follow the notion, but it gets hard: Work your way through the BJCP style guide. Find good examples of the style and keep notes. It's the only way you will remember what beers you had and what you tasted.

Enjoy the cougars at the MAP ROOM!

See my Corny Keg Chilling Insulator

Quick Reply