Beer not carbing- temp issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
I brewed a "Cream of Three Crops" cream ale about a month ago. It's been in a keg under CO2 with about 15 PSI... I would think this would make a nice carbonation. The beer has any carbonation at all. It seems like it's mostly foam.

Here are some of the facts:
-it's in my kegerator
-using a picnic tap
-15 PSI
-temp set to 36

I think the issue might be the temp. I live in Florida and it averages 90-95 during the day... maybe the 80's at night. The kegerator is on my back porch. Even though the temp is set to 36, the beer isn't that cold. Could that be the reason for all foam and little carb?

That PSI might be too high. How long is your tubing to the tap? And what is the inner diameter of that tubing as well? I have about 10 PSI on my kegs with 3/16ths ID thick wall tubing at 5 feet in length.

But yes the heat could also cause the foam.

Definitely put a thermometer in the keezer to see the actual temp. Also look at where the probe for your temp controller is. If it is right next to a corner or the bottom the probe may be reading a much lower temp then it's actually getting to the beer.

This definitely sounds like it could be a temp issue. I've had my PSI set at 20 a few times and while it did foam more, it was not uncontrolled as you described. However above certain temps (low to mid 40s I think, but don't quote me) beer has a very hard time holding carbonation so when it is poured into a lower pressure place, ie a glass, the CO2 immediately escapes.

this was a pre-made hose I bought from one of the online stores... i think it's about 3' long and 3/16

I think you need a longer hose. I always run at least 5 feet.

Also I agree you need to know the actual temp as well. This looks like a two fold problem.

Put a glass of water in the kegerator with a thermometer in it.

thanks... I check the temps this evening... my wife says the same thing about the hose issue :off:

I had an issue with foaming in my last kegerator too. Serving hose was 4 ft long. Once I put a 5 foot hose in.....no more foam. Your beer may be carbonated and the hose is making it seem under carbonated.

so i got home an bled off the pressure and then set to 8 PSI... then guess what? Carb in the beer! Thanks for the help. I'm sure the temp will help also... I've got to find a way to move my kegerator to the garage where it's not quite so hot.

so i got home an bled off the pressure and then set to 8 PSI... then guess what? Carb in the beer! Thanks for the help. I'm sure the temp will help also... I've got to find a way to move my kegerator to the garage where it's not quite so hot.

Yes, that, and about 8'-10' of serving line will make a huge difference. The short line means that the co2 is "knocked out" of suspension due to a lack of resistance in the tubing. Between that, and the warm temperatures, you would have foam at a decent carbonation pressure. I'd change the line to 10' or so, and try to keep the kegerator at a steady temperature.

Back