Beer from decade old ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt16

Reaction score
This probably seems pretty silly, but call it an experiment. A friend of mine has a bunch of left over grains, LME, and hops from when he used to brew 10 years ago. The grains have been in sealed in airtight packaging and the hops have been frozen in mason jars for about a decade.

I'm thinking about making a little test batch with these ingredients just to see what it turns out like. I've got several pounds of black patent malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, and some victory toasted malt. I guess I'll try doing a partial grain brew with some of that and the LME.

The hops on the other hand are a little iffy. I realize that they should really be used after a year. I've smelled them, and they definitely don't have the pungency of fresh hops (duh). I also realize they are susceptible to oxidation.

If I do this is there anything I should be cautious of?

What are the odds it will end up tasting like it came from a troll's butthole?

I just kind of want to compare it to beer brewed from fresh ingredients, and I don't really want it to kill me. Any pointers?

I would taste the grains along side some fresh ones and compare. The grain will probably be just fine if kept in a airtight container, cool and away from moisture. I`ve kept base grain around in air tight containers for a couple years without a problem, and I`ve read that dark roasted grains will keep indefinitely.

I would imagine the hops wouldn't be very good, you can still use them but probably will need much more to get any bittering and flavor, as far as aroma goes probably nothing.

I gave up for 7 years, and then brewed with my left over ingredients. Did a partial mash like you are considering.

The grains were OK. I tasted them and they seemed OK, so I used them. They had been stored well.

The pellet hops were OK. They were kept in ziploc bags in the freezer. I cut down the AA count for them by about a half for recipe formulation (it depends on the hops, some keep better than others). I used them a number of times. Did a number of IPAs with 1/2 pound of hops in them to get through them. Don't count on delicate hop aromas.

The leaf hops were shot. Didn't smell good so I just tossed them.

The LME was in an opened 33 lb container. There was a little mold growing on top, not much (if I remember correctly, I might have put some vodka in to float on top to protect it when I stored it - was not expecting it to be 7 years). I cut the top off it and removed the mold, and used the LME. It was in the boil for the complete hour. The LME had darkened quite a bit over the years. It was 'Extra Light' and looked like Dark LME.

Got rid of that in the first 2 batches.

Overall the beers came out surprisingly well. It was good practice, to see if I could remember how to brew. Stand them next to what I am brewing right now and I'm sure I would find lots of problems, but at the time, I was very pleased in how they came out.

Latest posts

Back