Anybody use those "drytrap" airlocks with the better bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maida7

Reaction score
like this:

drytrap12.jpg

What do you think? How do they work? Do they fit in the standard drilled stoppers or must you use one of the expensive better bottle brand stoppers

Pretty sure they fit the expensive Better Bottle stoppers, not regular ones. A medium universal carboy bung and standard three-piece airlock works perfectly for me and creates an excellent seal every time (I actually *can* use my airlocks as indicators for fermentation progress and CO2 pressure) - for $3.50 instead of $40.

Pretty sure they fit the expensive Better Bottle stoppers, not regular ones. A medium universal carboy bung and standard three-piece airlock works perfectly for me and creates an excellent seal every time (I actually *can* use my airlocks as indicators for fermentation progress and CO2 pressure) - for $3.50 instead of $40.

Yeah, right now I use the standard airlocks but I'm tired of them sucking in the liquid from the airlock every time I move the better bottle around. I guess I'm looking for an upgrade but not willing to pay 40.00

No. But I have a ported BB and I can tell you that the little metal springy cotter pin thing will eventually fly in an unexpected direction and disappear forever.

Then, you need to take a piece of wire and wind it around there so the super-over-expensive gizmo looks super-ghetto.

Yeah, right now I use the standard airlocks but I'm tired of them sucking in the liquid from the airlock every time I move the better bottle around. I guess I'm looking for an upgrade but not willing to pay 40.00

I'm with you there. I know 1) I can just loosen or remove the airlock when I move it, and 2) the starsan in there won't hurt the beer, but it happens anyway and I cringe when it does.

No. But I have a ported BB and I can tell you that the little metal springy cotter pin thing will eventually fly in an unexpected direction and disappear forever.
:cross:

So funny, happened to me before I even used it on it's first ferment. Not that inpressed.

I use one of these http://morebeer.com/view_product/10937/102272/Premium_Breathable_Silicone_Carboy_Hood%3Cbr__%3E
I have used it on 3 or 4 batches and it seemed to work fine, but I am fairly new to brewing so I would be curious as to what a experienced brew thinks of them. Worry free as far as starsan getting sucked in since there is no liquid.

That looks cool, but $12? Although I just sucked a shot of vanilla vodka into my dunkelweizen just barely touching the sides of a better bottle:mad:. God I hate those things!

Back