The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is the Alcohol Distribution System in the US Flawed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Austin_
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Is the Alcohol Distribution System in the US Flawed?

FORA.tv - Is the Alcohol Distribution System Flawed?

"Glen Whitman discusses the ramifications of the three-tiered system of alcohol distribution, which forces manufacturers to sell their products through a limited number of distributors. He says the lack of competition leads to increased prices and decreased selection."

I don't really have an opinion as I'm not economically-minded, but I found it interesting nonetheless. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes it is. My county in MD buys all liquor/wine/spirits that enter the county and then Beer & wine stores buy from them. If you want liquor, you have to buy it from a county owned story. Its all so they can make $

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
xxdcmast
Recipes 

I personally believe that home distilling for persoanl use (not sold) should be legalized. I mean you can make beer, wine, and many other types of alcohol but it is against the law to make your own whiskey.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Yes, in NC you can buy beer in any store as long as its less than 15% and wine anywhere no matter the ABV. Liquor is only sold at the ABC store regardless of the ABV. Why is it that all three types may have the same ABV (lets say 20%) and one is completely illegal (beer), one can be bought at any grocery or convenience store (wine), and one (liquor) can only be bought at a government controlled store and only Monday-Saturday 11AM-9PM??

Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Oregon has a 3-tier system and it really amazes me that craft brewing has done well here. It certainly drives the prices up.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My beef with the system, is that it limits distribution. Beer should be available to any retailer that wants to sell it.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
norcal_nerd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdcmast View Post
I personally believe that home distilling for persoanl use (not sold) should be legalized. I mean you can make beer, wine, and many other types of alcohol but it is against the law to make your own whiskey.
The process of making whiskey is very dangerous; I don't think it has much to do with the govt losing tax money.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In PA the craft beer in my local little six pack store sells for an average of $18-21/6.

Any craft beer. Bud Ice sells for $11/6.

Outrageous.

The only other option is the state stores that can only sell cases or kegs.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
Yunus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
In PA the craft beer in my local little six pack store sells for an average of $18-21/6.

Outrageous.

I'm still confused on how to buy beer in PA. Last time I was there (over Christmas) I went to a 6 pack store, the selection was BMC and Yuengling. Ok, its attached to a bar I figure I'll find better at a State Run store with bad hours. I go there, great selection, I can get a case of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale 22's for $53. Great price but I gotta buy a whole case? What if you want to try something new how do you do that?

Old 01-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #10
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post

Outrageous.

Have you been to the foodery at 2nd and poplar? Never bought beer there but I go to standard tap (across the street) all the time and I hear the foodery has a good selection. I'm in ridley park so I go to other places for 6ers and single bombers. Usually go the the beer yard in wayne for cases and sixtels.

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Quick Reply