Adventures in Stirplate Construction...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
...or, I am a moron and made this DIY project way harder than it should have been. Take your pick at which title you prefer.

Full blog entry chronicling my saga here.

But the tl;dr version is simple - it took me multiple tries to get a DIY stirplate working properly, and most of the issues were entirely self inflicted. But hey, it's working now, stirring a 4.5 liter starter for me.

I was planning to make a stir-plate but your experience is making me reconsider.

I was planning to make a stir-plate but your experience is making me reconsider.

If it helps, I built an STC-1000 temperature controller with almost zero problems. I could build a stirplate again in a fraction of the time, now that I've learned multiple things that *don't* work.

But it is a bit more finicky than some projects.

Pshaw!!!

No worries. The stir plate is easy. It was the stir-bar I got hung up on. Finally just cracked and ordered one off Amazon from Scientific Supplies of Houston. It was about $3.00 total including shipping.

Pshaw!!!

No worries. The stir plate is easy. It was the stir-bar I got hung up on. Finally just cracked and ordered one off Amazon from Scientific Supplies of Houston. It was about $3.00 total including shipping.

Yep, that's who mine came from. Got here in two days, I think.

Time to buy another one, since I just pitched mine into the beer despite my best efforts. :cross:

Back