Accidentally melted bucket lid, anything to worry about?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleslattery

Reaction score
So, the reptile bulb I have warming my fermentation chamber fell onto my fermentor, resulting in this:

Photo%20Jan%2024%2C%2012%2058%2041%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jan%2024%2C%2012%2059%2013%20PM.jpg

From what I can tell, little, if any, melted plastic actually contacted the beer. Do I have anything to worry about?

I think that's a no brainer, he's just worried about his brew.

You should be fine. Any plastic that was hot enough to melt & drip was likely pretty sterile from the heat alone.

Why risk it? Buy a new lid, they are only a couple of bucks.

Yeah, I'll definitely buy a new lid, just wanted to make sure there weren't any potentially harmful chemicals that might've been released by the melting plastic that made their way into my beer.

I think he might be worried about toxic fumes from the melting plastic. Even certain materials covering your couch give off toxic gasses when burning. A little something I learned years ago when I worked for a home security company that sold the detectors more common today.

That looks pretty cool. Reptile bulb, eh? neat.

Your beer should be fine. Is the cover melted through? Might want to cover any holes from the outside if they go all the way through. Other than that, you should be fine.

That looks pretty cool. Reptile bulb, eh? neat.

Your beer should be fine. Is the cover melted through? Might want to cover any holes from the outside if they go all the way through. Other than that, you should be fine.

Yup, that's just from a 60W reptile bulb pretty much directly on it. Not sure how long it was like that (and it wasn't necessarily on the entire time it was touching, since it's connected to a temp controller).

It doesn't look like it's melted all the way through, but I'll be replacing the cover when I get a chance tonight, just in case.

Taste the beer.
Melting plastic can give it a nasty flavor. I left a plastic spoon in the oven and started roasting a chicken. It was only there for a couple of minutes and just started to melt before I realized it was in the oven and it made the chicken taste like plastic.

Taste the beer.
Melting plastic can give it a nasty flavor. I left a plastic spoon in the oven and started roasting a chicken. It was only there for a couple of minutes and just started to melt before I realized it was in the oven and it made the chicken taste like plastic.

Yeah, I'm hoping that's not the case here :(. I'll give it a try tonight.

Back