5 kegs of bad beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the increase in recipe volume and that much simple sugar the gravity sounds about right. Is there any excessive haziness to the beer?

Sorry to hijack part of this thread...but I just made a brown ale using extracts, kegged it (first time kegging), and tried some last night. It's the "Noches Munton & Fison Cascade Dark Ale" in Homebrew Favorites, pg 61, for those of you that have the text. It is incredibly hazy and has an off taste; I don't know if it's "bad" per say but the taste isn't that appealing; I'd say overly bitter. I don't catch any odd aromas. The OG to FG change only resulted in about 2.8% alcohol but maybe that was intended.
3# Munton's American light malt extract
1.5# dark DME
1/2oz. Cascade 30 min.
1/2oz. Cascade 20 min.
30 min. boil

It was in primary for 2 weeks, no secondary. Fermentation started within 12-16hrs and may have been too aggressive due to high temps. I force carbed it for 24hrs at 30psi, then dropped to 9psi for 4 days before trying. I haven't checked my water yet, but it's city water so I doubt hardness is a factor, plus I've never noticed our water being hard while washing clothes, dishes, etc. I'm wondering if it's just a bad recipe or if I should leave the keg in the fridge to mellow out.

Thoughts?

Im thinking about expermenting a little and put some beano in one of the kegs with the rice in it to se if it will convert and ferment. I'v read enzymes can cause a problem in bottles with excessive carbonatiion, but I dont think it would in a keg where you could just relieve the pressure. I'v also read on here that after you chill a keg the enzyme will stop working.

Give me your thoughts on this.

thakns; Rod

I just tapped this keg that I added the beano to. It's been sitting at room temp. for about three weeks, and it is really good. It's good and clear, and has a little bit of the citrisy tast, which I have become more accustomed to and a bit lf malt taste. This is what I was shooting for, it tastes like the IPA, but not a intense. I'm going to do it again, but this time I will mill a bit of base malt for the mash. I worked up a recipe on beer calc. that will put me at 30 IBUs for a 10 gal. batch.

thanks to all.

Sorry to hijack part of this thread...but I just made a brown ale using extracts, kegged it (first time kegging), and tried some last night. It's the "Noches Munton & Fison Cascade Dark Ale" in Homebrew Favorites, pg 61, for those of you that have the text. It is incredibly hazy and has an off taste; I don't know if it's "bad" per say but the taste isn't that appealing; I'd say overly bitter. I don't catch any odd aromas. The OG to FG change only resulted in about 2.8% alcohol but maybe that was intended.
3# Munton's American light malt extract
1.5# dark DME
1/2oz. Cascade 30 min.
1/2oz. Cascade 20 min.
30 min. boil

It was in primary for 2 weeks, no secondary. Fermentation started within 12-16hrs and may have been too aggressive due to high temps. I force carbed it for 24hrs at 30psi, then dropped to 9psi for 4 days before trying. I haven't checked my water yet, but it's city water so I doubt hardness is a factor, plus I've never noticed our water being hard while washing clothes, dishes, etc. I'm wondering if it's just a bad recipe or if I should leave the keg in the fridge to mellow out.

Thoughts?

That's not very much malt. If you made a 5 gal. batch it may be the reason for the hopps to come through strong.

I'm having a flavor problem with the last kits I bought. I'v brewed several beers, extract, partial extract, and ag with good results.
I made a Porter with these kits that is decent, but all my pale ales are bad. I brewed 2 IPAs, an APA, and used the LME from a 5 gal. kit and added corn, and rice to make a ten gal. batch of C3C pale ale, and they all have a citrisy, grapefruit, estrigency, the C3C being the best.
The only thing I have changed in my process is the kits and the yeast. I'm using Nottingham yeast and fermenting at 60 degrees F. as was recommended on one of Yooper's posts.
Is it possable the LME is causing this problem? I guess I will brew another batch and split it up and try two different yeasts.

All these beers mellowed out and got much better with time. The flavor would change so much from one day to the next I would check my beer lines to make sure I was getting the right beer. I'v come to the conclusion they just need at least six weeks in the keg to get right.

thanks

That's not very much malt. If you made a 5 gal. batch it may be the reason for the hopps to come through strong.

Yeah, I think you're right that this is just a bad recipe. I'm still new to this and learning quickly so I'll be sure to up the malt in subsequent batches. It's also getting marginally better each day. I'm forcing myself to drink it quickly so I can be over and done with it.

Back