New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 33 gallons of fermentation space!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #51
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Put some more hours into this build this evening... Not quite finished. Probably another hour of work on it and it will be done. (I suck at soldering)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #52
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckenridge View Post
Do the vessels open up for cleaning? What's your setup for that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
No, they do not open up. They do have a 2" bung that I insert a keg cleaner in. I will be getting a proper drum cleaner nozzle to place on the pump output riser soon.

You can find details on how to build the keg/carboy/drum cleaner here.

I just took delivery of this beast of a CIP ball... It won't fit into carboys but it sure will make cleaning these drums MUCH better!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #53
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Decided to go with crimp-on pin terminals... Just ordered them on ebay. I am having a HECK of a time getting the 14ga stranded wire to stay in the terminals. I crank down on them till they are really tight, then a little later if I bump the wire, it comes out of the terminal. I initially tried to tin the ends and they were really too big then to fit into the receiver. So... I guess I won't be finishing my multi-temp controller until those come in the mail... Crud...

Better to be safe than sorry right? Let me tell you, it is getting CROWDED in the box with a 3-gang old work box, three STC-1000's, three inline fuse holders, six "cool and heat" pilot lights AND three mono headphone jack receptacles for the temp probes.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #54
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Updated the first post with link to my 3 Temp Ferm Controller. Also in Sig Line.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #55
kerschup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 2 Posts

This project is awesome. I like the system you have setup for transferring beer from vessel to vessel at the different stages of the process. I was wondering about having multiple containers in the same space at such different temps. It seems you done it and it works, but i wonder how it affects the efficiency of the freezer. You have such a large thermal mass at 38 and one at 57 it seems like they are going to fight each other to maintain temps. Have you noticed if the freezer cycles more if you are trying to maintain two temps on two containers than if you are just trying to maintain on temp in one container?

Why do I drink beer? Have you seen what water will do to a pair of shoes? Do you think I want that stuff inside me?

Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #56
Norie_
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco
UPDATED:
Updates start HERE with the thermowell build.

Thermowell installation and Heat Tape install.

Pressure-Racking Assembly

Pressure-Racking installation and testing.

3-Way Fermentation Temp Controller 1 Chamber

Original Post:
Today I went to my LHBS and picked up (3) 15 gallon malt drums he had been saving for me. I was not sure if all 3 would fit in my 15 cu. ft. chest ferm chamber because I had laid them out with cardboard last week and it looked like they would over lap and be too tight with three drums in there. Well... to my surprise, they all fit in there with no shoving. I plan to pump directly into the sanitized fermentor from my chiller so I will NOT be lifting these drums over the top of the chest. Likewise, I plan to push the beer out with CO2 when racking to kegs. I need to pick up a bung wrench to remove the large bung plugs.

The way I figure it, if I brew 10.5 to 11 gallon batches, I can ferment all in one container. I will have to run blow-off tubes all the time because I don't have head space above the tops of the containers.
Wow. Two weeks ago I also was given these same malt drums from my LHBS! I was thinking of fermenting in them. Then I come across this thread. Awesome.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #57
GrogNerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 726 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norie_ View Post
Wow. Two weeks ago I also was given these same malt drums from my LHBS! I was thinking of fermenting in them. Then I come across this thread. Awesome.
just the opposite for me

was reading this thread earlier today and was going to ask my LHBS about them when I went in this afternoon

he just had one float, was sitting next to the checkout counter

I asked him what he was going to do with it, he said I could take it if I wanted it.

not sure if I will ever do a 10 or 11 gallon batch. I just made it up to full boil with my 5 gallons. I would have to get a bigger boil kettle

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: DB8PT Session Ale, Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #58
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
just the opposite for me

was reading this thread earlier today and was going to ask my LHBS about them when I went in this afternoon

he just had one float, was sitting next to the checkout counter

I asked him what he was going to do with it, he said I could take it if I wanted it.

not sure if I will ever do a 10 or 11 gallon batch. I just made it up to full boil with my 5 gallons. I would have to get a bigger boil kettle
Or do multiple boils.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #59
GrogNerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 726 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Or do multiple boils.
or this, yes. but then I couldn't justify getting a bigger BK

also have to consider doubling up on bottling. kegging is waaaaaaaay down the road

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: DB8PT Session Ale, Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #60
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Have you considered insulating your 2 higher- temp vessels? I have a similar setup but with corny kegs instead of drums. I have done it with the heated keg uninsulated and can't say i've had a problem, but now i have a layer of reflective insulation wrapped around it.

Quick Reply