24 hours in San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaPhil

Reaction score
I may have a trip to San Diego tomorrow. If we go, it'll be my first time on the west coast and I'll have, at most, 24 hours out there.

I'm not gonna go on a brewery goose chase (the guy I'm traveling with gets enough of that with me, haha), but I at least wanna come home with plenty of beer I can't get back home in Atlanta.

Where should I go, and what should I get? Preferably a good one-stop craft beer store but I can run around some if need be.

There's really not a style I don't like. I do like IPAs, especially more balanced ones, but don't wanna just come home with an armload of them. I'll probably have space for a 12 pack or so.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I don't know the area that well for bottle shops but for people who do, where in San Diego will you be? The greater SD area is a pretty big place.

I know it sounds sacrilegious, but my local Costco has bombers of 10 or so top-notch San Diego IPAs and DIPAs (not very balanced styles, though). E.g. Ballast Pt. Sculpin, Stone Enjoy By, Saint Archer IPA, Port Mongo, etc. Pretty much any decent liquor store in SD should be able to set you up with a nice mixed case of bombers, or stop by a Costco in the SD area if you have time and want to pay a % of retail (not as good of a selection, though).

I don't know theo area that well for bottle shops but for people who do, where in San Diego will you be? The greater SD area is a pretty big place.

We'll probably be staying close to the airport.

I may check into a Costco if there's one close. I can get stone and ballast point at home though so I figure I may skip them.

We'll probably be staying close to the airport.

You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't do dinner at Stone World Bistro. It's right near the airport. Modern Times is also nearby, and also awesome.

As for bottle shops, I can't help you much as I don't live down that way. But you shouldn't have much trouble finding one.

Find a BevMo, They have all the beer you'd like along with wine, liquor, cider, etc

Check out the best damn beer shop downtown. Seriously, that's the name. Great bottle selection there.

Check this place out. Right in the heart of downtown, not too far from the airport.

http://bestdamnbeershop.com/

And if you're a Stone fan, hit up their Liberty Station location. HUGE place, used to be the Naval Training Center. Of course, they have a bar right in the airport as well, so no need to go far, and once you're through security you can buy a few bottles to take on the plane with you. They have 4-bottle cardboard carriers just for that.

If you do decide to go on a brewery goose chase, hit up Alpine Beer, about 30mile east of downtown on I-8. Sorry I missed it while I was out there.

https://alpinebeerco.wordpress.com/

Good luck, and have fun.

You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't do dinner at Stone World Bistro. It's right near the airport. Modern Times is also nearby, and also awesome.

I agree with both of these. Coronado Brewing is just across the bridge for another local brewery that doesn't get sent far.

Bottlecraft. There's one in Little Italy next to the Ballast Point tasting room (where you could grab a flight of tasters as well) and one on University Avenue in North Park.

Thanks everybody, we're staying at the Marriott by Petco Park so a lot of those suggestions are nearby I think.

I fly a private jet for a living so fortunately I won't have pesky things like security to worry about when bringing stuff home!

Thanks again, I'll follow up with a report!

If you're downtown, then I second the best damn beer shop recommendation. Societe is a local option that doesn't disappoint, is that way, and not widely distributed. Modern times rocks, but is on the north end of town. Coronado is a good option too. But for bottles to take home, best damn is great and they have a homebrew shop too- good combo!

I had to exhibit some self control, but a successful trip nonetheless. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413501075.138348.jpg

Thanks again folks!

I ended up going to Best Damn for all that stuff. My coworker is succumbing to jet lag but I think I'm gonna check out neighborhood or knotty barrel to round out my beer tourism.

I'm glad my suggestion worked for you. I've been there several times and always find great beer. That modern times wheat is good, but the stout is awesome too.

Solid haul. I haven't had the FiftyFifty, but then again I rarely drink barleywine... Glad to see you found some Pliny. First time?

That Modern Times beer is an excellent beer. I think you'll be really pleased. Swami's is very good, but maybe not mind-blowing.

Solid haul. I haven't had the FiftyFifty, but then again I rarely drink barleywine... Glad to see you found some Pliny. First time?

That Modern Times beer is an excellent beer. I think you'll be really pleased. Swami's is very good, but maybe not mind-blowing.

I don't drink many barelywines either, but the guy made a convincing pitch so I went for it. It is my first Pliny, I can't wait!

That was pretty much my impression of the swami, I had one last night.

I never had Swamis, but the name brings back memories of that compound. Thank you for that.

Back