Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Calcium Chloride - When?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
avaserfi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Calcium Chloride - When?

When do you add calcium chloride to the milk when making cheese? I have been having mixed results with curd formation using store bought homogenized milk, so I just ordered some because I have heard the salt can help. I was thinking of adding it as I brought the milk up to heat about a minute or two before adding the rennet.

I tried to look around online, but see mixed responses to the question. Right now I am focusing more of soft cheeses that don't require a cave - that is until I can find something that will do on the cheap.

Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4356 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 847

The cacl is diluted in some distilled water, and added after the milk is heated, stirring in well. Then the culture is added, and later, the rennet. (You can probably just add the CaCl before heating, too).

Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
avaserfi
Recipes 

So with a 30 minute mozz recipe. I would add the citric acid while heating the milk up, after it is heated add the calcium chloride, mix well, and then add the rennet?

Easy enough. Thanks!

Andrew

Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As long as it is in before the rennet I don't think it would matter when you add it but when I did the 30 min moz I added it before heating the milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
avaserfi
Recipes 

Just used the stuff. It helps - I didn't really need it, but it made the curd stand much more firmly which makes the whole process far easier. I strongly recommend using the salt additive.

Andrew

Old 05-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

- Calcium Chloride - 1 Pint #C14P

"Calcium Chloride is used with store bought milk and goats milk to give a firmer setting curd for easier cutting in the making of hard cheeses.

CONTAINS: 1 pint Calcium Chloride

YIELD: Each pint bottle contains enough Calcium Chloride to do approximately 768 gallons of milk.

DIRECTIONS: Using 1/8 teaspoon for each gallon of milk, dilute in 1/4c. water. Bring milk to proper temperature and add before adding your culture.

STORAGE: Store in a cool, dark place. Will last indefinitely if stored properly.

NOTE: Do NOT use Calcium Chloride when making Mozzarella. It will keep the curds from stretching."
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Quick Reply