Whirlpooling thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardfan

Reaction score
I wanted to get input on whirlpooling hops. I have never done this but am going to try it out tomorrow. Going to make an ipa with a OG of around 1.070. I am going to use .75 warrior for bittering at 60 minutes and 1.5 galaxy at flame out and let it steep for 30 ish minutes. I was looking at adding another 1.5 galaxy after the initial steep (looking for the temp to be in the 170F range) for another 30 minutes. IBU count looks to be around 80 on beersmith. Thoughts from someone who has tried this approach?

I was just watching a Brewing TV episode on DIPA's and they mentioned whirlpooling. It seems wort need not be boiling to utilize hop oils and is effective from around the 170's upward. More character is imparted as no water is evaporating and whirlpooling has the same effect as the boil, which is to agitate the wort and hops.

Turns out I've been whirlpooling for a while now but I called it "cooling" the wort! Lol

I'm normally cool a 5 gallon batch with about 30-40 minutes of swirling the wort vigorously, and the video stated up to 80 minutes can be beneficial in maximizing utilization and decreasing off flavors that dry hopping may give (grassy flavors). My change will be to do so while it's still very hot, as I probably only get 15-20 minutes of proper temps currently.

Another name for this process is hop bursting...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I usually do whirlpool additions since I got a pump and built a whirlpool arm in my BK. I like the hop character it adds to the beer. There is an article somewhere on the net discussing hop bursting and whirlpool additions, experimenting with each together and separate and how much each contributes to bitterness/flavor/aroma

I wanted to get input on whirlpooling hops. I have never done this but am going to try it out tomorrow. Going to make an ipa with a OG of around 1.070. I am going to use .75 warrior for bittering at 60 minutes and 1.5 galaxy at flame out and let it steep for 30 ish minutes. I was looking at adding another 1.5 galaxy after the initial steep (looking for the temp to be in the 170F range) for another 30 minutes. IBU count looks to be around 80 on beersmith. Thoughts from someone who has tried this approach?

If you steep hops post boil and dont cool to under 130 quickly. Wouldnt you be introducing lots of dms? I have often wondered about steeping flameout hops for extra flavor but the dms thing scared me away from it.

If you steep hops post boil and dont cool to under 130 quickly. Wouldnt you be introducing lots of dms? I have often wondered about steeping flameout hops for extra flavor but the dms thing scared me away from it.

I wondered about this as well. From what I understand, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, most of the DMS is boiled off during the 60/90 min boil. There is still some DMS production after flameout while temps are above 180F (when doing whirlpool/steeping hop additions) , so it is still important to not cover the boil kettle.

I havnt had a DMS issue yet (knock on wood) while doing hop stands.

I wondered about this as well. From what I understand, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, most of the DMS is boiled off during the 60/90 min boil. There is still some DMS production after flameout while temps are above 180F (when doing whirlpool/steeping hop additions) , so it is still important to not cover the boil kettle.

I havnt had a DMS issue yet (knock on wood) while doing hop stands.

I think that is right, but dms is in growth all the way down to 130 degrees. So if you are above 130 you would be in risk. I have had a batch of "dms corn beer" due to longer than normal cooling times. It was really odd choking that down!

I have also been curious about steeping hops pre boil along with any kind of steeping grains/mash. I have read that makes your beers very aromatic and flavored hopped better than late additions without bittering them.

I really like how my hop forward beers have been coming out lately with whirlpooling. I usually hop burst, and now with whirlpooling added to the process, there is a huge difference in aroma/flavor. Longest I have done is a 30 min stand.

I ended up doing two steeps one right after it stopped boiling for 30 minutes and then another right after that for an additional 30 minutes (wort temp was around 165F after the first thirty minutes). I left my kettle lid on the entire time other than when I would stir every 5 minutes. I am hoping I don't have a corn beer using this method, from what I can read about the subject I shouldn't. My second ever brew I left the lid on the entire boil. I wont make that mistake again!

You should be fine. BYO has a great write up on the topic. I just refreshed myself with it. It's a good read

You should be fine. BYO has a great write up on the topic. I just refreshed myself with it. It's a good read

Could you post up a link? I am lazy lol. Is it the article on the hopbacks?

Back