Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > When is the best time to take a O.G. reading for a partial boil extract brewer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
bowlersp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default When is the best time to take a O.G. reading for a partial boil extract brewer?

I've been extract brewing for a while now, not really caring much for much OG/FG readings. Well I finally got a gravity testing kit and have started to make my own stouts/ipa's and would like to start calculating the alcohol % of my beer. I was wondering when is the best time to check for the OG. I am an extract brewer who does a partial boil. most my brews I boil 2 1/2 gallons of wort and then add the rest of the water after I bring the wort down to about 80 degrees.

Should I take the OG reading with the concentrated 2 1/2 gallons of wort or should I add the remaining water so that I have my full amount of wort (5 gallons) and then take the OG reading from that?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 463 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Top off to the total volume you want in the fermentor. Aerate/mix very , very well. Take your OG reading.
If you haven't mixed the boiled volume and your top off water sufficiently this reading could either be high or low. Higher OG if your sample came from and area of high sugar concentration in the fermentor or low if from a low sugar area.

If you can get the boil kettle volume lower than 80°, do it. Pitching your yeast in wort cooler than the fermentation temperature is better than trying to cool down a fermentation that starts to warm. Less stress on the yeast.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
bowlersp
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
Top off to the total volume you want in the fermentor. Aerate/mix very , very well. Take your OG reading.
If you haven't mixed the boiled volume and your top off water sufficiently this reading could either be high or low. Higher OG if your sample came from and area of high sugar concentration in the fermentor or low if from a low sugar area.

If you can get the boil kettle volume lower than 80°, do it. Pitching your yeast in wort cooler than the fermentation temperature is better than trying to cool down a fermentation that starts to warm. Less stress on the yeast.
awesome, thats what i thought. take the reading with the full volume after it has been mixed very well.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 463 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Yup, just before pitching.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
MrSpaz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just wanted to comment about mixing wort and top off water. Mix the hell out of it, as said above. Otherwise you'll get a false reading which is easy to do and which I've done.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:35 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I never bother. Too much worrying when the reading is not as expected, when it is almost certainly due to inadequate mixing.

I have accurate volume measurements on my fermenters and calculate my OG.

I always measure FG.

Quick Reply