Unmalted Wheat for Head Retention?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
How much unmalted wheat should be added to a 5 gallon batch to aid in head retention? A half pound? Will the extra protein increase the cloudiness?

Will flaked wheat do?

I have been adding a pound of flaked wheat to all my brews, and was just wondering if I should be adding unmalted wheat instead.

Let's see: head retention is a combination of protein, carbonation and the glass, right? Did I miss anything?

First off, I have absolutely no experience with this.

Secondly, I was just reading the adjunct grain section in my Midwest catalog.
"Flaked Wheat - Greatly increases body and head retention in most any beer. Use in small quanties, 4-6 ounces in a 5 gallon batch."

Pez.

I know that there is a difference between white wheat and red wheat.

SNR_and_diastatic_power.gif

I'd probably avoid the oats due to the oils in them. Stouts tend to get solid heads from the various crystal malts and roasted grains. One of the primary things to look at, really, is the protein content. Hops also help with head retention as well.

I have been adding a pound of flaked wheat to all my brews, and was just wondering if I should be adding unmalted wheat instead.

This is a mysterious line, because flaked wheat is unmalted wheat. But if you'd like to substitute flaked wheat for flaked wheat, I say go for it!;)

Back