Two-Step (read some now, some later) all grain brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chachi

Reaction score
So, between the 9 month old and work, I can't seem to find much time to brew these days. I did manage to brew up a bohemian style lager (which I kegged tonight) and it got me motivated to try and figure out some sort of method to brew during the week. I work close to home, so I could theoretically get about 45 minutes of brew work done around lunch time.

I was thinking that I could mash at lunch, but not sparge until later. Not sure if that would cause any problems or not. Then I could boil when I got home...not ideal, but a man need to brew a lot of beer.

Anyone do anything like a 2-step brewing process before?

Last time I tried that the mash soured on me. I think you'll have to get all the way through sparge at lunch.

On my last weekday brew day, I got the mash going right after work, went to the gym, started the sparge after the gym while fixing dinner, got the boil on while eating dinner, and bucketed it all up while getting the kids to bed. This method requires me to have everything clean and ready to go the day before but it still gave me time with the wife after the kids went to bed.

The mash one night, and boil next morning is my technique too. I have the luxury of working from home, so I can usually get the boil mostly done before I am really working if I get up soon enough. Then I just clean up at lunch. It is a nice staggered approach to brewing.

Back