Two great (or not?) whirlpool ideas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
1. Put a large paint strainer bag in the whirlpool vessel (for me it's the brewpot). Then cool and whirlpool. Lift the paint strainer out of the bag and the break material that settled to the bottom should stay in the bag.

2. Since the lower you cool the wort the more break material falls out (not related to how rapidly it's cooled, as some think), cool it down to like 35 degrees to drop out the most material possible, then put it back on the fire to bring to pitch temperature.

Are these good ideas at all?

1. Put a large paint strainer bag in the whirlpool vessel (for me it's the brewpot). Then cool and whirlpool. Lift the paint strainer out of the bag and the break material that settled to the bottom should stay in the bag.

2. Since the lower you cool the wort the more break material falls out (not related to how rapidly it's cooled, as some think), cool it down to like 35 degrees to drop out the most material possible, then put it back on the fire to bring to pitch temperature.

Are these good ideas at all?

I admire your attempt but I can't say that I agree.

1. If you put a strainer in the kettle after the boil all of the trub and break material would remain under the bag not inside of it. Intact, I use paint strainers to strain the material out because the mesh is so fine that it can't pass through.

2. Cooling to 35°F would take a lot of time and energy. Why bother putting all of the time into cooling and heating? If you really want clear beer I would recommend finnings, cold crashing, or filtering.

Back