New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Testing the limits of yeast viability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #21
Chad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Inspired by this thread I pulled a 1-gallon jug of WLP940 (Mexican Lager) out of the fridge. It's from a Vienna Lager that was transferred from the fermenter to keg in September of last year. I can't remember whether I washed it or or just poured off a slurry. There was a thick layer of clean yeast without any obvious trub under the gallon of clear amber liquid, so I probably washed it. Smelled like beer when I gave it the sniff test, though. There weren't any obvious off odors. I didn't taste the liquid. The yeast layer was darker than the usual creamy beige but wasn't anywhere near peanut butter. There was a little slick of darker material that swirled up when I pulled the jug from the fridge.

I made a 2L starter wort with 200g (about 7oz) of light DME boiled for 15 minutes. Boiled off a little more than expected and came in at 1.042. Cooled the wort to 75° before pitching the yeast. The obligatory dumbass moment came when decanting the liquid off the top of the yeast. I poured off most of the liquid, but most of a gallon jug still leaves quite a bit. Doh! I had about a quart of slurry after swirling the yeast back into suspension. After pitching I ended up with about 3L of 1.028 wort (according to the Beersmith dilution calculation). Perhaps the yeast will appreciate the slightly weaker wort as they try to recover.

I've got it on a stir plate and will let it go for three or four days and see what happens. I'll post back here with results. With any luck I'll have a decent harvest of this yeast, which I really liked in my Señor Misterioso, Negra Modelo-style Vienna. I'd like to make this my house lager yeast. I'm annoyed that I've waited this long to reculture it. Thanks, Bobby, for the jump-start.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #22
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yesterday i washed a 1L starter of 1187 ringwood i made in may (i split the smack into 2 1Ls). half the cake was light cream brown tint. the other half is nice cream white. i was only tryin to save pure cells to start a frozen bank. now it seems slanting is more user friendly. and especially now that i hear a year with trub and dead brothren a year is no problem, slants should last waaaaay longer and you can take from them and put em back. you cant freeze and thaw and freeze.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #23
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Ah well, it was worth a shot. After three days on the stir plate the wort had a pretty bad smell and the OG hadn't dropped by so much as a point. My fault for letting the original slurry go as long as I did. I really liked that yeast and should have done something like this much sooner.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 11-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #24
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I freeze yeast. I would guess they last indefinitely that way, on glycerine. I stepped up a starter this week with a 6 month old frozen vial without any problem.
What do you do? Make little yeast starters in test tubes and pour glycerin over the top of the starter inside the tube, shove in a cooler and stick them in deep freeze?

Old 11-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #25
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

Found an excellent pic worth sharing

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Making_Plates_and_Slants

Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #26
McCheese352
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I made up a 1.5 litre starter for my brew last Saturday. I used some washed 1056 from an IPA i brewed in Jan-Feb, so it was around 9 months old . The yeast passed the very scientific sniff test and after around 8-10 hours on the stirplate was doing quite well. Pitched the entire starter and its been fermenting like mad for a couple days now. I have to say i am pretty impressed that it took off like it did.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #27
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2651 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAnthonyB View Post
What do you do? Make little yeast starters in test tubes and pour glycerin over the top of the starter inside the tube, shove in a cooler and stick them in deep freeze?
woops... missed this. Yes, that is about how I do it. There is a good tutorial from FlyGuy regarding frozen yeast banking. I don't have/use a pressure canner though, just starsan.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #28
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do wash my yeast but I go further and use potable aqua tablets. I follow all the normal steps but when I get to the quart stage I mix in a potable aqua tablet and let it do it's thing. So far... so good.

It's always been my assumption that if you keep washing yeast over several beer generations you will eventually end up with low-flocculating yeast. However, that is just my unchecked assumption.

- JVD_X

Old 12-30-2010, 02:57 AM   #29
pjk49202
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This year I've waited 3-4 months to pitch washed Pacman and Wyeast 3655 (Schalde) and they both fermented just fine. I plan on doing a belgian Jan. using the 3655. By that time it'll have been 5 months w/o use. The three jars I have look pretty bad, not very creamy anymore. I'll update to let everyone know of the results.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #30
Bonde
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use this method all the time now. Have my fridge fillede up with bottles with different yeast strains.

I don’t wash the yeast either, simply swirl up the sediment from my carboy and transfer to bottles and cap, and since I started using this method (8 months ago) I haven’t had an infection or a bad vial either.

Quick Reply