New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oxygen vs Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
Xanabrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oxygen vs Wort

If oxidation occurs while the wort is hot (above 80 degrees or so) why does the wort not oxidize during the boil? Isn't the vigorous boiling action enough to intoduce O2 into the hot wort? I am sitting here brewing an apricot wheat while drinking a DFH festine peche, wondering if one of you guys can help me out. BTW, this is my first post. I finally decided to register after reading all the helpful info on here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2008, 02:11 AM   #2
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Boiling will actually take O2 out of solution.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanabrew View Post
If oxidation occurs while the wort is hot (above 80 degrees or so) why does the wort not oxidize during the boil? Isn't the vigorous boiling action enough to intoduce O2 into the hot wort? I am sitting here brewing an apricot wheat while drinking a DFH festine peche, wondering if one of you guys can help me out. BTW, this is my first post. I finally decided to register after reading all the helpful info on here!
Oxygen solubility is primarily a factor of temperature. By boiling, pretty much all oxygen is eliminated from the liquid. What you are talking about is hot-side aeration, which is re-introducing oxygen into hot wort as it cools.
Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 06-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
Scotty_g

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

When boiling you also fill the headspace above the wort with a lot of steam. That will help displace any air. In theory you will bring air into the steam cloud when you put your spoon in, but I wouldn't worry about it. Brewers have been stirring wort for a *long* time without issues.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 06-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Hot side aeration is (in theory) the introduction of oxygen into the wort during the cooling process. In practice, it doesn't happen.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Hot side aeration is (in theory) the introduction of oxygen into the wort during the cooling process. In practice, it doesn't happen.
+1 on this...it's one of those Urban Bugaboos to the home brewer...It IS something that Large scale commercial breweries are concerned about, Think about it,, when you're making a tastesless light lager like BMC you're trying to eliminate ANY flavors, so of course you are concerned about anything that could conceivably ADD a flavor. )

We need to replace the oxygen lost during boiling back to our wort in order for the yeast do do their thing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
I would argue that it happens, but it is not relevant to most homebrewed beers (by virtue that they are packaged and stored with great care, are rarely filtered, and are often consumed while the beer is still fresh -- all of which increase stability and/or reduce staling). HSA may not have much relevance to homebrewing, but it can and does happen. Most large-scale commercial breweries go to great extents to prevent it.

Quick Reply