Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oktoberfest screw-up.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Beeragent
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oktoberfest screw-up.

I did not have as good a brew day as expected. I brewed a standard all-grain Oktoberfest recipe. First off, I just moved into a new home, and the new oven only got my wort to about 210 degrees. The boil was barely moving. I figured I might as well continue and cooled the wort to about 80 degrees before pitching the yeast (Austin home brew supply directions stated to pitch the yeast at this temperature). So two questions, will the almost non-existent boil kill any decent flavors left, and will pitching the yeast at such a high temperature totally ruin this beer? I have a fridge which has temperature control which I will lager it in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeragent View Post
I did not have as good a brew day as expected. I brewed a standard all-grain Oktoberfest recipe. First off, I just moved into a new home, and the new oven only got my wort to about 210 degrees. The boil was barely moving. I figured I might as well continue and cooled the wort to about 80 degrees before pitching the yeast (Austin home brew supply directions stated to pitch the yeast at this temperature). So two questions, will the almost non-existent boil kill any decent flavors left, and will pitching the yeast at such a high temperature totally ruin this beer? I have a fridge which has temperature control which I will lager it in.
Pitching yeast @ 80F is nuts. The instructions actually said that? All I can tell you is to get the temp down to proper temperature ASAP and hope for the best.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Beeragent
Recipes 

Yeah, their recipes are basically the same for lagers and ales. The only difference is the temperature for fermentation. I've brewed dozens of their ale recipes and had great results, but after reading about lager temperatures, I thought the temp was too high. But according to some reviews on their site, following the directions still results in a good lager. I guess at this point, I might as well follow through with the directions and hope for the best.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Pitching that warm isn't the best idea, but isn't necessarily a killer. What kind of yeast was it? Try to get the temp down if you can.

The thing I would be most concerned about is the boil issues. Without a good, strong boil, there is chance that you will see some DMS issues in the finished beer, if you are unfamiliar it has a taste that is usually described as 'cooked corn' or 'cooked vegetables'. It is really too soon to tell if that is going to happen. Just need to wait it out, but don't stress yourself in the meantime.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Quick Reply