New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Octoberfest with no mash out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
AlbuquerqueJoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Octoberfest with no mash out

I just brewed my second all grain batch. It was a five gallon batch of Octoberfest. I used a double decoction mash method and the fly sparged with 170 degree water. I use a 5 gallon cooler as a mash/ lauer tun. I did not mash out. It took me about an hour to sparge (fly sparge). Am I in for a very dry and not very malty Obtoberfest?
Also, how is this going to affect my wort viscosity and how does the viscosity afeect the final product? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
GuitarLord5000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think I may have mashed out two or three beers in the few years I've been brewing. I don't have a problem with any of my non-mashout beers being too thin <unless a very dry beer was my intention>. Whether your beer will be dry or not will probably have more to do with your mash procedure than the absence of a mashout.
The lower viscosity that you get during a mashout is due to the higher temps only. I.E. - temporary. IME, your overall wort viscosity is no different at fermentation temps whether you mash out or not. So, there should be no affect to the final beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply