Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No Chill Results Thread - Post your good or bad notes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default No Chill Results Thread - Post your good or bad notes here.

I'm starting this thread to compliment the other no chill postings. This thread is for results only. Tasting notes of batches you have completed.

I've done 3 no chill batches in the last couple weeks. One american rye, one mild brown ale and one 60/70 shilling.

The american rye is ready to keg so I'll edit this post when I taste it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Will definitely be watching this thread. I'm really starting to HATE chilling my brews in this heat.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Droot
Recipes 

The first no chill I did, I split the 11 gallon batch with a freind. He took his wort home in the cube the next day and pitched the yeast then. So far so good.

The second cube I filled yesterday from the brew kettle with an oz of Cascades hops in it. This will be kept for a while. I will post results when I know more.

Starting my pile of full cubes....

David

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Old 07-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I did 2 no chill batches on the same day, BM's Centennial Blonde and an Irish Red Ale.

The blonde is just fine. I was worried about hot side aeration as I really splashed both about when transferring from kettle to no chill fermenter (the almost famous UPS 6 gal winpak). It is also cleared exceptionally well, no chill haze whatsoever.

The Irish should be aged and carbonated by the end of this week and I'll know more then but my sample of it when I racked it to the keg was pretty good too.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Droot
Recipes 

I use a vynal hose. It does stand up to the heat. I put it in the bottom of the cube and open the valve a little until the hose is submerged. Then I open it up all the way. Trying to avoid HSA.

David

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Old 07-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
roylee
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've got a fairly hoppy no chill ale on tap now and it tastes fine, looks good. I'm currently using mostly Centennial or NB for the bittering hops and use a bit less than I do with the chiller, as to my taste it seems I get more bittering with a given amount in no chill than I do with the same amount chilled (I realize I could add later in the NC boil for less bitterness, but prefer to add less and let it boil and save the surpluss for next batch). I also recycle aroma hops, which I think provides some complexity. But the question was how does it taste and to me it tastes as good as the same recipe chilled.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have done three no chill beers.

Circle City Haus Ale: Very clear, very balanced, I DID however adjust my hop additions to compensate for the increased utilization. I used a cube hop with this brew as well and it worked well. Great beer!

SNPA Clone: Very clear, nicely hopped. I used a FWH in place of some flavor additions that come after 20 minutes in the boil. Again a great beer. My FIL went out and bought some SNPA and had some of mine, tasted very similar, but he PREFERRED my SNPA clone?

Hugh Heffe: Just brewed, only a bittering hop addition in this one so there were no hop adjustments. It is in the fermentor now, the WLP300 took off like a rocket in the RWS. (Real Wort Starter) This was my first beer with ANY pilsner in it... 61% wheat, 27% pilsner and 12% 6-row pale.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 AM   #8
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've entered 3 of my no chills in 2 competitions so we shall see.

American Rye - Hint of sulfur. Smooth taste and very full body. The odor is going away.

60 and 70 shilling - went from primary to keg and had the same sulfur hint. I took samples to a brew club party and they said the same thing without prompting them. After 2 weeks it still has a small amount of stink. I"m going to shake and vent both kegs a couple times to drive off the odor.

Mild Brown Ale - taste exactly the same as my chilled version. Very nice even from the primary. Nice full body for a small beer. Good color and flavor. No faults that I can detect.

Wayne

Stainless Weldless kits and Flat $5.00 shipping to USA 50 States!
STAINLESS STEEL 3 piece valves $10.95! 2 piece valves $7.99
BargainFittings.com

Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #9
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My no-chills include: (in no particular order)
Northern Brown - my first. no-chilled in a bucket. Still good after about 6 months. (I "found" a 6 pack in my closet.)
Red Wheat - didn't last long, all my friends drank it.
American Brown - overhopped it. too bitter. my other no-chill beers had been just bittering additions.
Saison - It tastes like a saison. Finished a little high, but I had a horrible brew day (stuck recirculation, etc.)
Irish Red - On tap currently. A friend favorite. A little sweet for me.
Duvel clone - Very nice. A little too fruity but it's only a couple of months old.
JZ's Pale Ale - too bitter. I didn't adjust the bittering hop. Should have calculated it at 80 minutes.
JZ's American Amber - Still too young to tell.
American Stout - first really good dark beer I've made since going all grain.
"Belgian" Red - (IRA with WLP 500). Still in primary.
Red Wheat (different recipe). Very good. I'm savoring this one now.

Plus a few more, but I don't have my notes. I haven't chilled a beer in several months.

Big thing I've learned is to adjust the hop schedule.

RWS rules!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:47 AM   #10
Jmarsh544
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Bakins,

Are you using a hop adjustment schedule similar to the Pol or do you have a different schedule? Are you FWH for additions under 20 min as well as dry hopping where applicable?

Quick Reply