Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Never underestimate the heat capacity of 7.5 gallons of beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
SavageSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Never underestimate the heat capacity of 7.5 gallons of beer

I placed a carboy of ~4.6 gallons of Saison wort in my freezer on Monday night, attached the temperature probe to the side of the carboy, and set the temperature controller to 68 deg. F. Also in the freezer were two kegs with ~7.5 gallons of beer at 34 deg. F.

The freezer kicked in, cooled the Saison wort until it was 68, and shut off. So far, so good. I went to bed.

Tuesday morning, the temperature of the Saison wort was 61! I don't know if it would have gone down further because I promptly removed the kegs from the freezer and left the door open so the Saison could warm up to 68.

Physics. Whodda thunk? Clearly, I didn't .

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I inadvertently unplugged my keezer that was set to about 34 degrees for my lager. There were 10 gallons of lager and maybe 7 gallons of ale. A couple of days later I noticed my error when I pulled a pint that was only 57 degrees.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply