Need help...yeast amount in a mason jar enough for a five gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper2hopper

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421894111.449940.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421894143.307519.jpg
Is one of these jars enough yeast to throw on a stir plate with a standard starter for a five gallon batch? This is all primo clean healthy white yeast with zero trub stepped up from a six pack of bells Amber ale to use for a two hearted ale recipe. Just looking for people's experience with these re harvested yeast jars and amounts to use. I know there's calculators out there and all but they're like foreign languages to me.

I haven't harvested yeast from a bottle; but, probably safe to assume you have good pure yeast there. Assuming it is fresh, that is plenty to add to a starter. Think of how much yeast you get in a White Labs vial, it would be about that much if you put it into a mason jar. If it were me, I'd eyeball that and say it was starting around 100 billion cells and base the starter size off that.

I make 1500mL starters from brand new liquid yeast, both Wyeast and WLP products. I just pour off a pint of the starter into a mason jar during the boil and cold crash it in the fridge. Always ends up looking like the same amount of yeast you have there by the way. Then I let the starter settle during the boil and when it's time to pitch in it I decant off most of the starter liquid and pitch the remaining yeast.

Then next time I brew I make a new starter with what's in the mason jar and repeat the whole process again... like up to 5 or 6 times! Actually used a Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast strain for 9 generations once, but I was just being cheap and don't recommend stringing them along that much.

Maybe I am just lucky but I always let my starters go for about 36 hours on the stir plate before I start splitting it up and pitching it... and I get very good results consistently ( ; HTH

Back