Letting a Strong Ale sit...how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
Looking for a little feedback on aging a strong ale I just brewed.

1.070 OG, 3 1/2 weeks on the primary, just moved to a keg. FG 1.018 (perfect). Used S-04, 4 packs for a 10 gallon batch. 55 IBU's.

What amount of time would you think a beer like this should sit before it hits the tap? I filled with Co2 and purged, and have at a light pressure to hold the seal tight.

I plan on putting in the basement for a bit, right now temps in the mid 50's down there.

Thoughts on how long a beer like this should sit for it to lose that "green" profile it must have?

Thanks!!

:rockin:

I agree 1.07 is not huge but you could let it sit a month or two and be good to go. I have my Dark strong 1.108 sitting until it hits 6 months then I will bottle it.

Sorry, not trying to thread jack, I am also interested in this. I brewed a Belgian strong in December (OG: 1.074 FG: 1.010) It's been kegged for about a month now with ~18 psi on it. Would I spoil anything If I hooked it up to the keezer tap and pour a glass to check the deliciousness?

Sorry, not trying to thread jack, I am also interested in this. I brewed a Belgian strong in December (OG: 1.074 FG: 1.010) It's been kegged for about a month now with ~18 psi on it. Would I spoil anything If I hooked it up to the keezer tap and pour a glass to check the deliciousness?

Not at all.

I brewed a 1.078 IIPA that I hooked up after naturally carbing for 2 weeks in the keg after sitting another week in secondary for the dry hop. Its been on tap for the past two weeks and the alcohol burn is starting to fade and let the hops shine through.

In short, go for it. Just take small glasses at at time every few days to check and see how the flavor improves to give you a guideline for the next time you brew a similar beer.

Not at all.

I brewed a 1.078 IIPA that I hooked up after naturally carbing for 2 weeks in the keg after sitting another week in secondary for the dry hop. Its been on tap for the past two weeks and the alcohol burn is starting to fade and let the hops shine through.

In short, go for it. Just take small glasses at at time every few days to check and see how the flavor improves to give you a guideline for the next time you brew a similar beer.

I just pulled a sample from the keg in my basement, which in the mechanical room is at 51 degrees.

There is already a difference from the pull on Saturday. I think I will let sit for about 2 more weeks and then put back in the fridge. That would give the beer about 2 months total time from brewing to drinking. Intersting how the beer, although fairly clear, still has the ability to smooth out some bite. Another interesting thing is how the beer tastes much more smooth at a warmer (50's temp) than right out of the fridge.

Broc

Another interesting thing is how the beer tastes much more smooth at a warmer (50's temp) than right out of the fridge.

Broc

I have wondered about this too. At the warmer temps, more CO2 comes out. That CO2 causes a sharp metallic bite in the beer that isn't there at higher temps. I guess this is the reason beers seem smother at warmer temps.

I have wondered about this too. At the warmer temps, more CO2 comes out. That CO2 causes a sharp metallic bite in the beer that isn't there at higher temps. I guess this is the reason beers seem smother at warmer temps.

HAd the same thing happen with a Stout once. Almost thought the batch was bad. I bled a lot of CO2 off of the keg/out of the beer over time, let the keg sit for a couple weeks and the beer was fantastic. Almost like the CO2 can screw a beer up if not carefull

Back