I f'ing love my barley crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brown delivers!

Mine showed up today! It was just 5 days late including the weekend, so that was not too bad. I will give it a whirl this weekend when I brew my next batch.

I got mine last week with the 15 pound hopper. Used it yesterday with factory setting and gained 10 points in efficiency with a double batch sparge.

I too love my BC. A note on the black rubber ring/band that is fitted around the second (non-cranked) roller. Mine broke off too after a couple of brews and my efficiency went up a few points (same water, same grain sacks). AND it got easier to crank - by hand and drill ... weird.

For those who use BC's and don't condition your malt, how bad is the mess? Any issues?

Just grain dust that is easy enough to brush off with a paint brush, I brew outdoors, so it isn'tan issue, if you are an inddor brewer, and choose to crush your grain, dry, inside, the fine dust/powder might become an issue.

But to say mess is incorrect, slight inconvenience maybe. Like I said brush it off with a paint brush after every milling, and you'll be straight.

I too love my BC. A note on the black rubber ring/band that is fitted around the second (non-cranked) roller. Mine broke off too after a couple of brews and my efficiency went up a few points (same water, same grain sacks). AND it got easier to crank - by hand and drill ... weird.

What is this black rubber band you all speak of, I ordered my BC in 2009, and mine has no black rubber deal around any of the rollers, and never did...

...just curious...mine has worked superbly since I have had it, I used to grind a friends grain (before he bought his own), plus mine, probably over 30 brews on it now....never had any rubber band on it....

I didn't see the rubber band, until it was suddenly in the grain I was crushing. That was only after 3 to 4 lbs crushed. I think it would've been real easy to miss it. Only about 1 inch in diameter, looked like an o-ring. I bet you never saw it but yours came off.

I used my BC for the first time today. I got it from NB, and was able to avoid the long delays. I got a 10 point jump in efficiency....I love it.

AS for cleaning, 5 seconds with the air compressor and she is all good.

The amount of money I'll save on grain will pay for the mill in the first year.

Back