How to use beans in brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyboy

Reaction score
I'm not even sure if this is possible but I'm interested in using beans in a brew. I've got a three sisters garden that I'm growing this year and I'd like to try to figure out how to use the butternut, blue corn and scarlet runner beans in a saison. I've also got some hops growing along the edges so I'll probably use those as well. Has anyone played around with them? Mastered the use of them perhaps? Any tips would be appreciated. I'm thinking that I may have to boil them beforehand and get them soft then just add them to the boil pot. I might also boil them, smash them up and add them to the mash. I use a braided hose in my mash tun so as long as I don't make the mashed beans too thick I don't think I have to worry about a stuck sparge. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Cooking them then adding them to the mash sounds like your best bet.

Honestly it sounds disgusting though.

I dunno. I imagine that the flavor would be pretty earthy and mild. Maybe I'll add some bean juice to a one gallon batch sometime just to see.

Be prepared for some really bad smelling stuff. I am on the tasting pannel for the malt barley research center, and every once in a while they are given a task by some brewery looking to try something new, basically run a pilot on the system. They worked on a gluten free bean beer for years, I was furtunate to miss the first couple of attempts, because the smell alone would make you gag. I got into the 5th or 6th attempt, and that was nasty, but the guys that were there from the beginning thought it was almost there, so the first brews must have been really bad.

I'll take your word for it. I guess this idea is off the table.

You know, I posted a thread called lupini beans, but it got no replies. I wanted to know basically the same thing but with lupini beans, because that was actually used in brewing in Portugal. How I know that is because my grandmother, and a few others in Portugal mentioned that they used to home brew and lupini beans were used, not to make gluten free bean beer but as an adjunct. I still don't know how it was incorporated into it.

Back