How do I rack 1.5 litre test fermentations ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
I'm fermenting small batches of sugar water to make home made coolers.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17910

This is all an experiment, so I'm fermenting in 3 1.5 litre jars. The theory is that I'll make up a single pitcher of cooler drink with each one.

Fermentation is proceeding well. Next week it will be time to rack. How does one separate the alcohol water from the yeast with such a small vessel ? A racking tube seems overkill, although I could do it that way.

Any other ideas on how to rack such a small vessel ?

Thanks.

I would recommend a small diameter (something the size of an aquarium air tube) piece of food grade tubing tied to a something like a meat skewer, or stuck over the end of a stiff plastic stray to keep the part going into the jar from coiling. Just start the siphon by immersing in water until full and blocking off the ends. (As described by Charlie Papazian in his books).

Should be fairly easy and not excessively quick so that you can control the flow as well as keep the tip out of the yeast.

Latest posts

Back