Help me allocate yeast on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I've got ingredients for two batches. One is an Oktoberfest style that I want to do as an ale just to see how it compares to the one I've got lagering now (used Saflager23 on that one).

The other is an American Honey Wheat recipe that I just kinda threw together:
6lbs Munton's Wheat DME
1lb Honey
Cascade .5oz at 60 and 20 mins, 1oz finishing.
A little Tangerine zest.

I'm hoping to come up with something sweet, with hints of citrus kinda as a tribute to the orange in blue moon.

I have three different dry yeast packets that I have to choose from for the two above batches:

Nottingham
Windsor
Safale-04

I'm leaning towards Windsor for the wheat because it has a moderate attenuation and will leave some sweetness. Then I might go with Nottingham for the Oktfest because my basement is in the lower 60's now and I know it's low-temp tolerant almost to the lager area. What do you think?
Which would you use for which?

Nottingham for both. Both by standards need to finish clean. American wheats by nature are dry and just part of the character and probably why small additions of honey are able to come through.

Latest posts

Back