Gravity Expectation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I used to have a book that had the "standard" calculation for what the estimated final would be based on your original gravity.
EG

OG-1*.0x = "estimated final"

but I lost the book and don't know the formula anymore, it usually worked out pretty close and gave me a good idea of when fermentation was complete. Anyone know this formula? Or can anyone tell me based on just my OG of 1.083 when my beer is done fermenting or close to done fermenting?

It depends on the yeast attenuation. If your yeast has 75% apparent attenuation and you pitched it into 1.060 wort, the final expected gravity would be around 1.015

1.060 just take the points = 60

75% of 60 = 45

60-45=15

If your beer is 1.083, assuming 75% is about 1.021.

70% attenuation is 1.025

80% is 1.017

Not to open a can of worms but I and I say "I"think fermentation is done when your hydrometer readings are steady for 3 days

I don't want to open up a can of worms either. I usually wait till m y gravity is steady for a while too. But if it's steady at near or what I expected or estimated it makes me happier and I can troubleshoot.

According to Walker, "Hydrometers just make you worry."

I happen to agree. Just watch your airlock. When you get less than a bubble a min after secondary, bottle or keg. Don't secondary until less than a bubble in 30 secs.

Hope this will set you free!

:drunk:

Given that high gravity ales can get stuck, it makes sense to know what the target final gravity should be. Lack of bubbles can mean it's done, it can also mean that between the high ABV & focculation, the yeast can't finish the job.

Back