Flame out - where should the hop bag be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouza

Reaction score
Just wondering...
Once the boil is over, where does everyone have their hop bag?
I have been leaving mine in the wort during cool-down, but am wondering if I haven't been hurting the hop profile of my end product.
Should the hop bag remain in the wort during cool-down or come out immediately after flame-out?
Thanks!

Since I don't use a hop bag, mine stay in until I drain the kettle. I think a large majority of brewers just throw the hops in. Though at Saturday's group brew, I noticed a couple of the guys were using hop bags. One had an issue with the bag getting to close to the bottom and it burned a hole in the bag!!

Linc

Good question, I'm not sure it makes much difference but I never really considered it. I always fish out and drain the hop bags before cooling the wort myself.

I don't think it matters IMHO using a hop bag hurts the hop utilization and this makes a bigger negative impact than if you leave the bag in.

I use a 5 gal paint strainer bag. No issues with hop utilization. The thing is big enough for half the kettle volume. ;) I take it out after flameout and drain it. I don't do additions <5 minutes since I use an immersion chiller, instead I dry hop.

I also use a paint strainer bag and I have no issues with hop utilization. I use the strainer bag because I cool with a plate chiller and I don't want all that hop debris traveling through my chiller and possibly clogging it up.

I recirculate wort through the chiller back to my boil kettle until the temp drops to about 110°F. I leave the bag hanging in the wort during this time. Then just before for the pass into the fermenter I pull up the bag and hang it on a hook over my kettle to drain thoroughly.

I used a hop bag for the first time today and I must say it worked quite nicely. There is no way I wanted to fish out or strain 9 ounces of hops out of a 5 gallon batch. It was my first time using whole leaf hops, although I did use some pellets and even those didn't make too much of a mess. I tasted my sample and it seems to me the utilization was pretty efficient, just make sure your bag is large enough. After flame out addition I just left them in the wort while cooling it.

Cool down is what 10-30 minutes? Can't see how hops in wort can possibly hurt the hop profile.

My thinking was that the aroma addition may end up being more bitter than desired by the time your cool down is over.
Perhaps it is not an issue.

Latest posts

Back