Double beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diego123

Reaction score
Somwehere I dont remeber exactly where I read about the concept of double beer which in essence is making beer but instead of using (water, grains, hops) you use (beer, grains hops) basically making beer with beer. Do you think this would work or have you hear of it?

From the description it sounds like they're not making beer with beer per se, but rather making beer with hopped wort. You take the first runnings, boil briefly with hops, and use this wort at hot liquor for second runnings. Collect total runnings, add hops and continue boil. I'm not sure actually how/if this results in an increased ability to isomerize hops into solution (aka IBU) though. Sounds almost like hopping the mash. Sounds neat from a marketing standpoint, so who am I to argue. Personally, I think I'd take the 6 lbs of hops (yikes) and focus on late hop additions, hop stands, and dry hopping.

Anyone every tried palate wrecker?

FWIW - Wort only becomes beer when you add yeast.

Anyone every tried palate wrecker?

Palate Wrecker is not great. If it's true that they use 6 lbs of hops per bbl then I would consider that a huge waste of hops.

It does perform as advertised, though - wrecks your palate. Just not in a good way.

On my IPA rankings, I think Palate Wrecker would be right above Trader Joe's Boatswain DIPA (which is pretty awful). It does "the job" if that's what you're after, but it's hardly a flavor experience. It has a ton of bitterness with no malt to balance it out nor hop aroma and flavor to make the bitterness worthwhile.

I consider myself pretty "judge-worthy" in the category of West-coast IPAs. I've had most of them and I think I know what's good versus what's "generously dry-hopped with hype" as I like to say. Not sure if that tells you anything, but that's what I think.

Back