do you strain your beer when keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
Going to keg this batch - should I run the beer thru a strainer or cheesecloth when going into the keg to help clarity and keep the tube from dispensing cloudy beer?

You could wrap the end of your racking tube with muslin or cheesecloth. I would not "strain" into the keg because you run into the possibility of oxidizing it.

On the other hand if you do not strain it at all everything will eventually settle out, so you might get a few cloudy pints, but then they will clear up.

You could wrap the end of your racking tube with muslin or cheesecloth. I would not "strain" into the keg because you run into the possibility of oxidizing it.

On the other hand if you do not strain it at all everything will eventually settle out, so you might get a few cloudy pints, but then they will clear up.

I had not considered that, thanks!

I don't strain. If you have a lot of hops (from dryhopping), you may want to take care to rack around the hops. Otherwise, all the "crud" should be at the bottom in the fermenter and you can just not rack up that stuff.

Took mine off Secondary last night. Had to be carefull to avoid the Cake at the bottom but racked all of it less 1/2-1 cup (which I used for my FG reading).

Nice and clear. Now I'm really holding myself back from pulling the tap until it's properly carbed... Dang this is a long wait.... =)

If a noob like me can rack without getting the cake sludge... anyone can!
Cheers

I never strain. There is some yeast transfer, but it does settle out and only the first beer or two will have any yeast in it.

I put my auto siphon in a 5 gallon paint strainer just for kicks. One thing it does do is provide a nice seal at the top of the carboy so no nasties can fall in, or fruit flies in the summer.

Since I secondary and dry-hop in keg I certainly don't strain. I like to have a little yeast cake go in with the finished beer. Lets the yeast clean up a little more since they'll spend a couple more weeks in secondary in the keg. What's remaining of the trub comes out in the first pint. Then it's always clear as can be.

Back