Cleaning Tubes and Hoses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VulgarCelt

Reaction score
I am not having much luck cleaning my tubes and hoses after brewing. In particular I am struggling to get my blow-off tubes cleaned out and sanitized.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Completely submerge them in hot PBW solution. I've also heard of people wrapping a dip tube brush in a soft cloth and brushing them out.

Completely submerge them in hot PBW solution. I've also heard of people wrapping a dip tube brush in a soft cloth and brushing them out.

This. I put my pump hoses in a bucket wih warm PBW solution, then I attach them back to the pump and pum rinse water through them.

I soak all of my tubing in a bucket of OxiClean Free for a few hours making sure to remove the air in the tubing. Then I rinse with freshwater. When the tubing is needed for wort\beer I place in my bucket of Star San for a few moments.

I soak all of my tubing in a bucket of OxiClean Free for a few hours making sure to remove the air in the tubing. Then I rinse with freshwater. When the tubing is needed for wort\beer I place in my bucket of Star San for a few moments.

I usually do this, but then use the high-pressure part of a hose attachment and just spray them out to get any big stuck parts out. Then rinse with water that I didn't get from my hose. If there's still something in there, I'll repeat the process till its gone. If its really long, thin hoses, I usually just run some hot water through my kettle through 'em.

I bought a cheap gun cleaning kit from Wal-Mart. the extensions are nice for pushing a rag through blow off tubes and the small brush attachments are great for cleaning smaller tubes.

Back