The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Is Boiling Water Really Necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
malkore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Most cities use chloramine, not chlorine, because it doesn't easily gas-out of the water, even when boiled. Whether you boil or not, campden tabs are advised to avoid chlorphenols in the finished beer

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
SkunkyBrewster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I would worry more about filtering your water. I top off with unboiled all the time and no infections. I make sure to filter all my water though, but that's because I have well water. It doesn't taste horrible unfiltered but it doesn't taste great, so I don't take any chances with my beer.

"I'm a glass half-empty kinda guy. When it's half full, that means you're filling it, like a bartender. When it's half-empty, that means you're drinking it. I'd much rather be drinking the beer than pouring it."

Old 07-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 20

IMHO filtering the water is an absolute must. Boiling is good, but filtering is even more important due to the chloramine/chlorine. Just my experiences.

But regarding boiling or not... remember a few months ago hearing reports of people dying by using netty pots without boiling the water first? I.e. basically injecting tap water into their sinuses to clear them out. Turns out there can be some killer bacteria in your tap water. Hey, i'm just sayin'!!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
IMHO filtering the water is an absolute must. Boiling is good, but filtering is even more important due to the chloramine/chlorine. Just my experiences.

But regarding boiling or not... remember a few months ago hearing reports of people dying by using netty pots without boiling the water first? I.e. basically injecting tap water into their sinuses to clear them out. Turns out there can be some killer bacteria in your tap water. Hey, i'm just sayin'!!
i think that was in Louisiana, they have special water there.

Quick Reply