Amylase & adjunct grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I'm planning to make a brew with a low percentage of malt and quite a bit of rice and other stuff. It looks to me that with ordinary 2 row I would be shy on enzymes to convert the starch in the adjunct grains.

Does anybody use amylase powder in mashing? It seems like a logical approach to me..... this is to be a light bodied, light colored, low alcohol "session" beer with a low malt presence, emphasizing the hops.

H.W.

I'm planning to make a brew with a low percentage of malt and quite a bit of rice and other stuff. It looks to me that with ordinary 2 row I would be shy on enzymes to convert the starch in the adjunct grains.

Does anybody use amylase powder in mashing? It seems like a logical approach to me..... this is to be a light bodied, light colored, low alcohol "session" beer with a low malt presence, emphasizing the hops.

H.W.

What is the recipe/percentage ratio of ingredients?

I haven't worked out the details yet.......... someone suggested 6 row...... and I have considered that....... depending on as you said "ratio". What I'm looking at is not very much base malt...... less than 50% probably, and that would probably be pilsner, with some dextrin malt to give it some body. I don't think 6 row would be enough..... unless I stretched the mash out for a considerable amount of time........ I really don't have the capacity to do that and control temp without reheating.
There won't be much at stake here........ this is going to be a 1.5 gallon batch. A good size to experiment with.

H.W.

What is the recipe/percentage ratio of ingredients?

I haven't worked out the details yet.......... someone suggested 6 row...... and I have considered that....... depending on as you said "ratio". What I'm looking at is not very much base malt...... less than 50% probably, and that would probably be pilsner, with some dextrin malt to give it some body. I don't think 6 row would be enough..... unless I stretched the mash out for a considerable amount of time........ I really don't have the capacity to do that and control temp without reheating.
There won't be much at stake here........ this is going to be a 1.5 gallon batch. A good size to experiment with.

H.W.

OK My second question is why? American megabrew beers can be up to 45% adjunct, corn and/or rice. Is that still too malty? If you want to add powdered enzyme it will work in conjunction with the base malt.

Back