Aerating: before or after?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just wondering if you pitch your yeast before you aerate or after you aerate? I've been aerating after I pitch, but I'm worried that I might be damaging my yeast. What do you guys do?

I've always been told to add the yeast after aeration, but I don't have any hard data stating why it must be done thusly.

Doesnt matter. I've aerated lagers 8 hours after pitching. I forgot the science of it but just do it before fermentation begins and you're okay.

I pitch after I aerate.............I read that in Palmer's book How-to-Brew so that's what I've gone with.

I'm assuming everyone here is making awesome beers as well, so I guess it's just a preference thing.

I've done it both ways, and I don't think it makes much of a difference. Before I switched to O2 I used to use a paint stirrer chucked into a drill. I would pitch the yeast and then stir it to a mighty froth. I suspect the stirrer might have got the yeast distributed throughout the wort faster than had I done the stirring before the pitching.

Back