New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > adding priming sugar to already full bottling bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
Kershner_Ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default adding priming sugar to already full bottling bucket

Last week I wanted to brew a stout but wasn't quite finished fermenting the pale ale I had in my primary. So I racked the pale ale into my bottling bucket to use that as a secondary so I could free up the primary for the stout. Now I'm ready to bottle the pale ale (already in the bottling bucket). Just wondering if anyone has any tips for mixing in the priming sugar thoroughly without removing the entire lid off the bottling bucket and risking contamination. Yeah yeah, I know, I risked contamination when I racked into the bottling bucket in the first place. But I had to free up fermenting space! Before when I'd bottle beer, I'd add my sugar first to the bottle bucket, then siphon the beer into the bucket. Thanks for the help,

Jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well, if you add your priming sugar to it now, you'll have to stir it up. So, not only will you have to take the lid off (which isn't really a problem) but you'll stir up everything that settled out during your secondary (which is the real issue). If you have a free container, you can carefully, VERY carefully rack it to that container. Then after cleaning and sanitizing your bottling bucket again you can rack it back onto your priming sugar and bottle.

Next time you need to free up a fermenter and all you have is your bottling bucket, you oughta pick up a new fermenter.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Kershner_Ale
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Next time you need to free up a fermenter and all you have is your bottling bucket, you oughta pick up a new fermenter.
Yeah, I was aware that was the best option

Old 05-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershner_Ale View Post
Yeah, I was aware that was the best option
They don't call me Captain Obvious for nuthin!

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 05-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is one of the times I'd prb consider carb drops so you don't have to incorporate a priming solution and bottle right outta your bucket.

Quick Reply