The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding fruit to secondary, how to sanitize the fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #41
SteveM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

By my count, we have two batches of strawberry, one raspberry and one blueberry all at more or less the same stage. This should be interesting reading for a while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #42
kevy_kev
Recipes 

yup and steve I am not that far from ya if you like strawberry and wanna trade a couple brews one day.
not sure where anybody else is.

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Old 02-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #43
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

i've got plans to start a strawberry pale ale about 2 weeks from now, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread and, hopefully, learning something from you guys....
i'm also not too far from williamstown, nj and "philadelphia area".....

Old 02-28-2006, 11:19 PM   #44
bazeballdadx
Recipes 

6 lbs. of smashed cherries put in secondary fermenter, siphoned a plain wheat beer on top of that... day 2 had all the cherry skins clogging up the blowout tube.

I'd definitely recommend racking to another 6.5 instead of a 5 gallon carboy if anyone else tries the same style and doesn't want to simply add the fruit to the primary.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:32 AM   #45
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazeballdadx
6 lbs. of smashed cherries put in secondary fermenter, siphoned a plain wheat beer on top of that... day 2 had all the cherry skins clogging up the blowout tube.

I'd definitely recommend racking to another 6.5 instead of a 5 gallon carboy if anyone else tries the same style and doesn't want to simply add the fruit to the primary.
I'm doing strawberry. I thought I made a plenty small batch of pale stuff for the base beer, but it blew the cork in 3 hours after adding fruit. That was having pureed with a potato masher, small peelings. I guess I'd run a harder skinned fruit like cherries or plums through a blender. Anyway, after a week in the secondary, I racked to a 5 gal tertiary, and filled it right to the top. Perhaps the carboy I used is 7 gals? It's from the swap meet, has no markings on it.

Maybe next fruit beer I'll split the primary into two carboys for the first few days? Then I might as well try an eight gallon batch, for the same labor.

The way everybodies seems to have a rousing secondary I think yeast like fruit. perhaps there is a 'yest food' yet to be found? Ph? antioxidents ?polyphenols? minerals? fertiliser? Or is it just plenty of yeast left from the primary?

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 03-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #46
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So we can add in a cherry brew as well.

Lou, I am in Broomall - so we are no more than ten or fifteen minutes apart. I will be happy to swap out a few. Williamstown is not quite as close but an opportunity could arise.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #47
Truble

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My fruit is getting added tonight. I was hoping to do it last night, but I had school, and then had to get some work done after that...I have settled on 2.5# for my rasberries.

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #48
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Updated count: Two raspberry, two strawberry, one cherry and one blueberry.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:08 AM   #49
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

is anybody using pectic enzyme in their fruity brews? i'm particularly interested in hearing about the fruity pale ales, not so much the wheat beers, as cloudiness is desirable in a wheat ale....

Old 03-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #50
kevy_kev
Recipes 

I am not using pectic enzyme, but I did not boil my fruit and read that the enzymes only react/release when boiled. I was looking closely last night and it is still bubbling at about 1 bubble every 10-15 seconds and is very cloudy.
I really hope it clears up!

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Quick Reply