Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 2nd Batch adds 1 hour to brewday ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #11
billtzk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Tried a little experiment last night. Bottom line is this - one AG batch takes 4 or 4.5 hours. I did an extract batch AND an AG batch and the whole thing took a mere 5.5 hours. 100% more beer for roughly 20% more time and effort.

I did the extract batch first. Steeping the grains and bringing the extract batch to a boil took about an hour. About ten minutes into the 60 minute boil, I started heating up the strike water for the AG batch. (Yep, you need two buners to make this work). Did the 75 minute mash while the boil and chill for the extract batch were on, and then heated up the sparge water while whirlpoolling the extract batch.

As soon as I poured the extract batch out of the kettle and into the fermenter, I gave the kettle a quick rinse and drained the mash tun and proceeded with the AG batch as usual. Like I said above, 100% more beer for about 20% more effort. Cheers!
What batch size? It takes me 6 hours to do a 10 gallon AG batch. Fly sparging takes a while, and I usually do 90 minute boils.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 685

I think I'm trying a double AG this Friday...considered it in the past and I have multiple pots so why not

Old 12-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
Tim_Kreitz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
Now my real idea is to do three beers in one quick brewday: do the 15-minute extract beer (beer #1) while mashing beer #2, then while beer #2 is boiling, do a 3-gallon partygyle beer with the second runnings (my second burner is my stove, and it can't do a full boil, but it can get 4.5 gallons boiling). So that's either 2 5-gallon batches and one small batch (beer #3) in one shortened brewday, or if you're willing to add extract to the smaller boil, you could top beer#3 off with a little water and turn it into another 5-gallon batch.

One day, my friends...
You will be exhausted for days thereafter!
On Draft: Amarillo Brillo Honey Blonde Ale
On Draft: Cherry Christmas Session Ale

Old 12-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #14
crackhead7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Two weekends this month I did back to back ag 10gal batches and currently have 40 gals fermenting and cleaning up. Had to buy some more fermentors but with the cold weather temp control is easy as setting them in the basement. Id have to say if your really organized it only added 1.5 hrs to my brewday. Seems like a no brained when you have gone through all the set up work as it is. The only problem has been the the short winter days I hate wrapping things up in the dark.

Quick Reply