When is too late to top up fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_loco

Reaction score
Had to leave the house quickly after the brew day. Missed my final volume, can I add a 1/2 gallon distilled water tomorrow morning? Would be less than 18 hours after pitching.

I wouldn't bother adding more water now... Better, IMO, to let it ride as it stands... Just means the brew will be a bit stronger than if you had added that extra 1/2 gallon of water to it. NOT a bad thing at all in my book.

Yeah, I'm not super worried about it, but an extra 1/2 gallon or so would get me to my desired volume AND gravity. A little bit more of the beer I had aimed for isn't a bad thing, but neither is a little bit less of a stronger version ;)
Still would like to know, when is it too late to add water to the fermenter?

It's too late to add water to the fermenter after you have already bottled.

IMO, gravity id far more important than volume. If your target gravity is off, then by all mean add the water to target. But if the gravity is right and it's only volume that is off, well, try harder next time.

Sorry Wildwest, I know it's a little over your head. Just hang on for the duration and it'll all make sense!

If fermentation is complete, boil the water first to get rid of the oxygen and to sanitize. Adding water after fermentation that is not boiled can lead to oxydation.

If fermentation is complete, boil the water first to get rid of the oxygen and to sanitize. Adding water after fermentation that is not boiled can lead to oxydation.

That's what I thought. I'll add anything before fermentation kicks off, if I add anything at all.

Latest posts

Back