Water Water everywhere.. Beginner water help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfairious

Reaction score
Ok, I am trying to figure out my water profile and see if I have good chemistry. I am an extract brewer, I don't need mash pH and things like that. Should I even worry about my water as much since I am doing extract with grains type brewing? I have looked over several calculators and they don't seem to tell me much.
Here is my water report:
ALUMINUM 0.05 ppm (ND-0.13)
COLOR 2 UNITS
ALKALINITY 54 ppm (51-56) AS CaCO3
CALCIUM HARDNESS 53 ppm (45-64) AS CaCO3
TOTAL HARDNESS 61 ppm AS CaCo3 (3.6 GRAINS/GAL.)
CHLORIDE 17 ppm
FOAMING AGENTS LESS THAN 0.1 ppm
CONDUCTIVITY 180 mS(173-193)
pH 7.71 (7.48-7.86) TOTAL DISSOLVED SOLIDS 113 ppm
IRON LESS THAN 0.01 ppm
MANGANESE LESS THAN .02 ppm (<.02-.04)
SODIUM 7.5 ppm
POTASSIUM 1.31 ppm
SULFATE 13 ppm
SILVER LESS THAN 0.005 ppm *
SILICA 1.4 ppm
SILICON 0.67 ppm
BROMIDE LESS THAN 0.010 ppm
IODIDE LESS THAN 1.00 ppm
FLUORIDE .77(.64-0.90)
AMMONIUM ION 0.07 ppm (0.02-0.15)

I don't see magnesium even listed. I am thinking my pH is a little high and my sulfate may be a little low too. Are they off far enough that I need to worry about it since I extract brew?
Thanks for any help.

You don't need to worry about it since you're brewing with extract. The people who make your extract account for all those ions when they produce the extract. Just make sure the water you're using tastes good, and use something like Campden tablets to get rid of chloramine in your boil and top up water and you're good.

I think your water looks really good if you ever move to all grain brewing it will be a great starting point

You don't, as an extract brewer, need to worry about any of this stuff within reason but your water would be pretty good even for all grain brewing. The pH doesn't matter. The akalinity does but at 54 ppm you are in good shape.

The magnesium hardness is 61 - 53 = 8 ppm which is .16 mEq/L or about 2 mg/L.

That water is fine. I would still push the alkalinity a little closer to 25 ppm or less to keep the beer crisp. A little acidification is recommended for that.

Thanks so much everyone! Glad to hear my water is pretty good to start with. Maybe when I move to BIAB or all grain I will revisit. Thanks for help figuring out my magnesium too!

That water is fine. I would still push the alkalinity a little closer to 25 ppm or less to keep the beer crisp. A little acidification is recommended for that.

Ok, I have 3 all grain batches under my belt. My water supplier has this to say:

"Champlain Water District was the first water supplier in the nation to receive the "Excellence in Water Treatment Award" for completion of all four phases of the Partnership for Safe Water Program. This year’s Water Quality Report announces CWD’s 15 year Excellence in Water Treatment Award. In 2014, CWD was named “Best Drinking Water in New England.”

The report is basically the same as last year. So what should I do to tweak my water. I like to brew IPA's. Add 1tsp gypsum? 1/2 tsp Calcium Sulfate?

Thanks for any help.

Personally, I would get a Ward's report and build my water to style.

The issue is that we don't know your preference for sulfate rich beers. Some people like really big sulfates (through gypsum) and some people don't like much at all. It is a good thing your water report is more or less consistent, but don't put a lot of weight into the award... it means it is safe, not appropriate for brewing. If the reported ions balance adequately - you can get by with it. In Vermont, you would likely have some seasonal variations and the municipal reports are general tests over time and/or averages. Snow melt (and road salts) may increase sodium and chloride levels significantly in the cold months.

Google Bru'n Water's knowledge page for a starting point and basic water chem 101. An alternative is to follow AJ's excellent Primer in the sticky section of this forum. Always treat for chlorine and chloramines if you are using your tap water. How technical you wish to approach this is a personal choice.

Ya, didn't put much weight to the award. But is nice to know my water is good for drinking. How, other than trial and error does one know what their tolerance for sulfate is? I tried the bru'n water website, but my report doesn't state some of what they ask for and I couldn't figure out the calculator in a quick trial. More time is what I guess I need to figure this all out. No quick fix for water I guess. :)

You could try to call the water supply company and ask to speak to one of their engineers. It is likely they can give you the information directly. The Bru'n Water spreadsheet has the information that you need to request.

RE: sulfate, you can dose some beer with a gypsum solution and get an idea of how much you may like (or dislike).

Asking engineers may not be the way to go when calling the water company. You are better off talking with someone in the water quality laboratory or a chemist. They are more likely to know the answers on water quality. Engineers are not typically the ones worried about that stuff.

Back