Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Help reading water report

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
cms
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help reading water report

This is the current water quality report for my town. Most of the text appears to be boilerplate. There are a few tables (for contaminates), but I'm not seeing any information about the additives (chorine/chlorides, fluoride, etc. although fluoride is listed as a contaminate).

I guess I don't know how to read this report and understand what effect it should have on my brewing. Or should I ignore this report and use pH strips or something?

I am not an advanced brewer, so there's very little that I would do with this information besides perhaps decide to use bottled spring water instead. So far, I've been going by the "if your water tastes good at room temp, then it's fine for brewing" rule of thumb and it's fine as far as I can tell - the water tastes good. I guess I'm just curious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 630 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This report is typical of those where the authority reports the minimum it can without getting crossways with EPA. You can try calling the sourcing water agency and asking for an inorganic report or tell them you are doing beer and want to know alkalinity, calcium and magnesium, sulfate, chloride, sodium, nitrate, nitrite, iron, pH.

Or you can send a sample off to Ward Labs for analysis.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply