Digital Microscope, 800x - any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionara

Reaction score
After seeing some awesome pics of peoples infections in the notorious infection thread, I am keen to have a go at some microscope work myself!

I've found this, which is a very good price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009HN9LK6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Is 800x enough to get a good peep at the bacteria cells of beer infections, or even have a look at the yeasties and such? I also make cheese, which I'd like to explore (they did this in 1903: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiaWXmYh3EU !)

It's more for curiosity than science, so I'm not in the market for high end equipment. The snapshot ability is a top bonus too.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that at that price, the single lens that's between the sample and the camera chip will result in a pretty terrible resolution at high mag. You need a high quality lens to keep the light from scattering when you're down at bacteria's level. There will also be pretty rough spherical aberrations from how far away the working distance of that scope is.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Those are crap - bought one for my Biologist mother in law, felt very proud. Not for long. Her photos pointing a $100 digital camera down the viewfinder of an old school-quality lab microscope were waaaay better than what came out of that rubbish.

No you won't be able to see anything with that. If you want to see bacteria to any extent with a hope to do the most simple identification you will need 1000X with oil immersion. you can allso get a gram staining kit so you can better identify the bacteria as gram negative or gram positive.

i think what you need is a good light microscope...not digital microscope which attach on laptop...coz it only show youur spicemen from top..i never see bacteria using it...

i just recieve 40x-800x amscope m158 2l....odered from ebay...its for my 3 yrold daughter...before she is using toy plastic with glass lens....and she doing well with that..but need help for focusing....i cant wait to see her enjoying seeing her favourite ant with a good model microscope

Back